I want to learn a foreign language, which is easier and more elegant between Russian and Espanol ?

I took two years of Russian in college. And I speak Spanish at the tourist level.

Spanish is way easier to learn than Russian. For one thing you have to learn a whole new alphabet called the Cyrillic alphabet. Here's a sample: я говорю на русском == I speak Russian.

For another the grammar and syntax are totally different from anything you've learned before if English is your only language. Here's an example, there is no definite article in Russian...no equivalent to our word "the." And the various verb tenses are complex and varied.

Finally, if you're American, you'll have more opportunities to use Spanish than you will to use Russian. And learning a language is facilitated through using it in real life situations.

• M.

пожалуйста! 👍

• M.

Learning Spanish - not so difficult

Learning Russian - difficult

Spanish grammar - not so difficult

Russian grammer - unbelievably complicated

If you know anything about Latin (grammar), Russian is like that. It's called inflection. Russian is a highly inflected language. Additionally, more than half of the alphabet is unlike English. But the Russian alphabet is simple to spell with and to read, as far as the sounds. English has problems in that area. Spanish mostly doesn't.

• M.

It will be much simpler than Russian, but I like both languages.

I don't know what you mean by 'elegant' in relation to a language. That can only be a subjective impression.

But you will certainly find Spanish a lot easier than Russian.

Whether or not a language is elegant depends from person to person. Spanish is easier to learn for an English speaker and speakers of romance languages (languages originated from Latin such as French and Italian).

Elegance is the art of impressing without fuss and trinket, leaving out anything that's not necessary.

People can be elegant, not languages. Being fluent in foreign languages can be impressive if it's true, not just fuss. In that way it can support given elegance.

• Zirp

for the average native speaker of English, Spanish is easier (Esperanto is even easier than that), but Russian is a "critical language" (google that)

To become fluent in Spanish takes about 600 hours.

To become fluent in Russian takes at least 1100 hours, mainly because Russian grammar is much more complex than Spanish grammar.

• Lôn

Try Portuguese....it has the best bits of both.

Easier:

Spanish, by far.

Spanish: takes approximately 24 weeks to attain fluency

Russian: takes approximately 44 weeks to attain fluency

http://www.openculture.com/2017/11/a-map-showing-h...

My opinion: Spanish is also much more "elegant" than is Russian, which language has many (to the English-speaking ear) harsh sounds included in it.

🥴 I like Russian.

Spanish I've been around my entire life. Yeah, it WAS beautiful and elegant back in the day. But now it just sounds common.

However, I think Spanish is one of the easiest languages to learn and the most useful in the US.