Danny asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 5 months ago

Why is my body severely aching after playing football?

I am a 31 year old male. I used to play 5 a side football quite a bit when i was younger. Now i will be honest, for the past 6-7 years i have done hardly any exercise. I’ve put on 3-4 stone in weight and are really out of shape and unfit. I played in a 5 a side football tournament 2 days ago. I knew it was going to be a struggle as i am so unfit. I did ok but towards the end of the tournament i was shattered!

The next day, MY GOD! I was aching from head to toe. Especially my legs. All my back hurts, my stomach, neck. I mean i can’t even walk up and down stairs properly. And to put on my pants this morning took me about 10 minutes! I genuinely can’t even lift my legs up. Driving is also a struggle too.

Is this normal after a prolonged absence from football and exercise in general? Thanks.

Absolutely normal unfortunately.

It’s your body’s way of saying WTF were you thinking these last 6-7 years? Also, hopefully you’ll be motivated to prevent this from happening again by getting off the couch more often.

Take a couple of anti-inflammatory meds, soak in an epsom salt bath, and do some light stretching for five minutes or so for a couple of days.

And then embark on a regular exercise program and improve your diet. Cut out all soda, especially diet soda which is TERRIBLE for you.

Depending somewhat on your genetics, being overweight and out of shape at 31 does not bode well for your health, sex life, and bank account down the road. Listen to what your body is telling you!

• Tavy

My 46 year old son said the same yesterday after playing football with his sons. It nearly killed him. You are both supposed to build up exercise over time. More males thinking they are superman. !

Perhaps you haven’t been playing for too long