Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 5 months ago

how do i cope with my really strict parents?

i'm 14 years old, my parents have always been really strict and i feel like if it doesn't stop i'll just go insane. i'll explain how strict they are. i have to have my hair long and tied up. i can only wear the clothes my mum buys me. i can't have any accessories or make up at all. thats just some stuff. my parents expect top grades, anything less and i'll be grounded for a week to a month depending how "bad" my grades were. when i'm grounded i'm not allowed on technology at all, i have to stay in my room all day and are only allowed out to go to the bathroom or at meal times. my parents look at all my conversations on my phone and i'm not allowed any social media even if its a private account. i have a long list of chores i have to complete each day and i'm only given 5 dollars a week in return for my work. my parents are ok with me getting a boyfriend but he has to have good grades and come from a respectable family. the thing is i'm not even into guys, i'm lesbian. i haven't told them this and they would flip if i did. i'm only allowed at my friends places in the holidays. my parents expect me to get into a really good college and get a job as a lawyer or a doctor. how do i cope with this?, thank you for reading.

• Mark

That's actually pretty standard, believe it or not.

Whilst it's probably frustrating for you, try to understand that they love you enough to care - strict or not. That's just standards they are setting. Sure, you can probably name a bunch of friends whose parents aren't as tough, but also, I can name lots of young people whose parents are drunkards, high, on drugs, thieves, etc. So it could be worse. Count your blessings. Do your best not to antagonise them. Show maturity by doing as they ask, without backchat, and in time, it will work in your favour.

maybe you should talk to your parents about it and how it makes you feel

There's no need to "come out" to your parents at this point. But at some future point when you're highly successful and all the girls who dithered in high school aren't you'll be grateful your parents kept you on track.

rnaybe you should go live with your friends, you rnight have rnore fun there

• Kelly

That's fairly standard. They're setting you up for success in life.

• keerok

From the looks of it, your problem is that you have absolutely normal parents. If you do everything they say, after 20 years, you'll look back at this question in a funny way. If you try to go against them, it will just take a couple of years away from them to realize they were right all along.

• In

Sorry hun, but you sound like you have a normal teenage life. Someday you will appreciate your parents for molding you into the person that you are. As far as guys go, you might start to like them when you and they get older, so don't burn your bridges behind you.