How do you maintain a cast iron skillet?

When I fry in mine, I deglaze the heated pan with cold water, and use a turner and/or a brush to loosen all the fund in the bottom of the pan. If what was cooked has a sauce or liquid, I spray it until free of what I cooked, and wipe it with a paper towel.In both instances I wipe out all the water and loose stuff, then spray with olive oil and wipe it out to leave a velvety black finish.

Don't forget to hit the bottom of the skillet with a bit of oil and a wipe if it even thinks about rusting.

I only use soap in mine if I have a lot of residual grease, and don't want to plug the plumbing. No brush or serious scrubbing, just let the soap emulsify the grease and pour it down the drain with hot water.

google it. there is information all over the internet

After every use, drain any remaining grease or oil off. Scrape any stuck-on food. Using oil, salt and a paper towel, begin scouring the skillet until all the salt has turned brown. Remove the salt and repeat until the surface is smooth and free of all food. WIpe it down with a thin layer of oil and allow to try. Store until neeeded again.

• C

Once it's properly broken in it will maintain itself, even if you wash it with soap. The most important thing is to cure it which means not only oiling it, but heating it up for an extended period of time. A properly cured skillet shouldn't feel greasy or sticky to touch. In all honesty, you may need to "cure" it a few times because the original doesn't take due to being too timid about the heat and length of time required. There are lots of online instructions for both oven and stovetop methods. Don't forget to do the outside too or you'll easily end up with rusty rings where you set the pan down. The second "rule" is that it needs to be hand washed and thoroughly dried before being put away. I always dry mine over a low heat. Frequent use will encourage a patina to form. My skillet is so broken in that the inside is as smooth and non-stick as a Teflon pan. This did not occur overnight.