Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 9 months ago

Does this break UK GDPR regulations?

In the last couple of months I have needed 2 doctors appointments. One was booked for 2:40pm and the second was for 4:10pm the following week - these were the only times available. While I was waiting for my 2:40pm appointment I took a turn for the worst and had to visit a walk in centre for quicker treatment. Throughout the day I tried to contact my GP surgery to cancel the 2:40pm appointment I had originally booked however I spent over 2 hours on hold throughout the course of the day. The time for the appointment had come and gone however I still tried calling them as I needed to rebook for the following week to get a follow up appointment. It wasn’t until 1 hour and 10 minutes after the appointment when I was able to get hold of someone. So I rebooked for the following week. 1 day before the rescheduled 4:10pm appointment, I required hospital treatment for the condition I was struggling with, and could therefore not make that appointment either. I called and called and called all day but nobody answered. I then sent an email to cover my back.

Fast forward a week... my parents have received a letter addressed to them asking why I didn’t make my last two appointments! The letter also lists the dates and times of the appointment along with the symptoms I was suffering from. This was something I wanted to keep to myself and wasn’t planning on telling anyone.

...continued...

Is this allowed? I know my doctor has an obligation to check up on my well being but surely they should try to contact me first?

I could understand if I was a child but I’m verging on 30 years old!

The only reason I wasn’t able to inform them that I needed to cancel the appointments was because they never picked up the phone! This has been a long running issue and the gp surgery has received a lot of negative feedback online regarding this.

Is this legal, and what should I do about this?

Yes it is a serious breach and they need to be taken to task over it. Contact the Information Commissioner details are online. They will give you advice on what to do and are very helpful. You may get thrown off the GP's list, but then you can take further action through a solicitor. Good luck as this isn't good enough.

• Maxi

Your parents clearly are written down as your guardians if you are a vunerable adult, which means they legally make decisions for you and are the point of contact......... if you are not under their guardianship then you need to walk into your doctors and make sure they have the correct/updated information in your records to ensure this doesn't happen again. As your doctor is local and you live with your parents why did no one go into the doctors on your behalf to cancel the appointments you made and was not going to attend?

• Tallyman9 months agoReport

My doctors surgery is 40 minutes away from where I live. I have a very small family who all work throughout the daytime. And I was in hospital.

• Biff

Your parents must be registered as being responsible for you in some way. Why else would the surgery have their details on your medical record? If that situation has changed you need to notify the surgery.

• Sarah9 months agoReport

Due to data protection law you will have to be under the age of 18 for them to call your parents, or you are a vulnerable adult.

Yes if you miss a appointment here they will charge you money for it. The reason they do this is because the waiting list is such a long time its not fair on people who really needed that appointment. Its is totally legal what they are doing. You must cancel it before the time or else this happens you get told this when you sign up to a gp surgery. Some people have to wait month and months for an appointment and you gone and wasted 2.

• Sarah9 months agoReport

They can charge you. You had a free appointment on the NHS and missed it. Its costs them. Would you like me to send you a link?

If you want to you could go and hire a solicitor and If they have breached the EU GDPR regulations they will fine the surgery, thus depriving it of valuable resources.

Are you classed as a vulnerable adult by the way? Do you live with your parents? Perhaps they contacted your parents as they had a duty of care, as your next of kin as it was serious.

• Tallyman9 months agoReport

Thank you for your comment. I’m not listed as velnerable in any way what so ever. The letter was addressed to my mom who lives 20 minutes away who is also registered at the same surgery.