If my apartment management had me pay a "one time pet fee" when I first signed my lease, can they charge me the same fee when I renew?

22 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Be prepared to MOVE. If the management wants to change the pet fee policy when they renew your contract, they can legally do that. They can start charging more per month for the pet or pets, or charge another pet fee. They can decide it's not a one time fee now. Landlords are forced to have to be strict with pets because many tenants allow their pets to cause damage to an owners place. Many places do not allow pets, so be happy you have a place that allows them.

• 5 months ago

They can try, and you can refuse and you can move. Ask them what they don't understand about 'one time fee'.

• R P
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

They most likely will not charge the pert fee again. I have never heard of any landlord or apartment management that has done so at lease renewal time.

• Dave
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

What is the pet fee for? If it is for additional cleaning after you move because you have a pet then they either have to refund the fee if they do not clean, or clean the carpets and charge a new pet fee or apply the fee to the new lease. In most states you have to pay a deposit, but this is to pay for excessive wear or damage. The owner cannot simply keep the deposit for normal wear. So say you were there 5 years and now the apartment needs painting they cannot keep your deposit because they have to paint. That would be expected to need to be done when you move and not through any fault of you.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

yes......................................................

• 5 months ago

Yes. One time each lease.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

They could, sure, but many don't. I think you're fine. I have personally never seen this happen when I've renewed my leases; all one-time fees were upon signing the lease for the very FIRST time, first year, and nothing else. They raise the rent, maybe add more expenses, like pet rent, but no, never had to pay the pet fee over again.

So yes, legally they can charge you whatever they want if you renew, but I don't think they will charge the pet fee again.

• 5 months ago

if it's one time, then no, probably not

• NWIP
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

No just like you will not have to pay another deposit when you renew. One time fee, means just that ONE TIME. In a renewal they can add a monthly pet fee if they choose to but many do not.

Source(s): Works in leasing business
  • 5 months ago

No. As long as you stay there, you don’t have to pay the pet fee again.

• ...Show all comments
    • Judith
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Then it shouldn't be called a one time pet fee; it should be called a yearly pet fee.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.