Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 5 months ago

Is the Army worth it?

I’ve been considering joining the Army, but as far as I can tell the pay sucks across the board and the benefits aren’t very good. But I think the experience might make it worth it, possibly. My biggest problem is I have a really good job and I have a house payment, 2 car payments, a motorcycle payment. The military just doesn’t pay enough to pay my bills right now and it would be a HUGE pay cut. And I have a son and a girlfriend who I plan on asking to marry me really soon so I want to have a stable life. Plus I’m worried if I were to be deployed, my family could potentially be sitting in a house in Germany or somewhere and I could be sent to Iraq or wherever and they’d be too far from our families and alone. It’s just something I would really love to experience and be a part of, but the military doesn’t seem to offer much in return for committing. Does anyone with military experience have any advice or input? I’m 50/50 on what I should do.

The Military has never been a job you join for the money, if money motivates you, then you won't survive the job. I currently earn around £31,000 and I'm reletively low down the chain. The pay is excellent. Only people whoever complain about the pay are usually old, retired guys. The benefits? there is no job anywhere that offers as much benefits as the Army. Medical and dental care, House, travel expenses just to name a few. £180 a year for whole career to spend on any courses to benefit yourself, 40 days holiday a year, although you will often get alot more time off than that for free. When it comes to leaving the Army spends thousands on transitioning you to civilian life. Numerous courses, education and technical.Friends for life and the pride only Serving personell feel. There are downsides, like all jobs. But when your lying in a shell scrape freezing your **** off on a cold January night, all the pay and benefits mean nothing. So rather than concentrating on money and benefits, think about wether or not it is really for you. If it is, then you wouldn't even be answering this.

p.s in regards to your house ect, the army has various schemes relating to accomodation where they will actually pay you to live in your own house. Or rather a contribution.

Source(s): 18 yrs British Army and counting
  • John

Don't forget there are five branches. If you want the experience with less discomfort you should consider all the options.

Yea from experience the modern day military is nothing like the old one. I served 2012 to 2018, and I can tell you what. Transgender briefings, insane safety protocols, constant down time and massive amounts of "don't do this" briefings, daily drug tests, repetitive training on things you'll never use.

So if you have nothing better to do and want an experience, go for it. But don't expect it to be like the movies or how commercials paint it.

• Jason3 months agoReport

If you have nothing better to do!!!! can see why you only did 6 years.

Go air force anything but security forces or air crew. I don't think the army is for you if you are concerned about pay and being comfortable.

• Jason3 months agoReport

Air force??? he didn't mention anything about being homosexual did he??

YOU get out of it what YOU put into it .........................................

Source(s): Retired ARMY SFC.
  • Daniel

The benefits aren't very good? Who else offers free healthcare to you (and really cheap healthcare to your dependents)?

Tax free shopping at the exchange and cheap groceries at the commissary.

Cheap (and sometimes free) MWR activities on base.

Tax free housing allowance

Space available flights

GI Bill and Tuition Assistance (Free college). The GI Bill also includes a tax free housing allowance if you use it after you get out

• RICK

Hopefully you will
      I've made 27 years in military retirement so far and hope for at least 20 more

1. The benefits are quite good.

2. Whether you want the reduced pay is up to you.

3. Single parents cannot join unless there is someone who is legally obligated to care for the child in case you get deployed for years.

• Mrsjvb

you don't have the internal fortitude to enlist.

I don't mean to put down the military. We need a military. But looking at it from your point of view, it's not 50/50. I figure we are about 50/50 likely to get into another unnecessary war in Iran. Using GW Bush as a precedent, Trump could invoke stop-loss and keep you there INDEFINITELY. You probably wouldn't get killed--at least you'd be safer than the general population. But it would take a big chunk out of your life.

Sounds to me like you have it pretty good!

If you want the cushiest platform, go with the Air Force.

I joined right out of high school a decade ago and after doing my homework it didn't take long to realize the AF had the highest median salary, and involved a lot more technical equipment rather than straight infantry here's your MOS of kicking in doors you deploy in 3 weeks.

I only spent 2+ years and topped out at Airman 1st Class before being discharged. But I can honestly say, aside from basic, everything was comfortable, easy.