Lampa asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 5 months ago

What is the American Dream?

Favorite Answer

To live in freedom as much as possible. To accomplish what dreams I may have without government intervention where it is not welcomed, especially to impede me.

"Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" is a well-known phrase in the United States Declaration of Independence. The phrase gives three examples of the "unalienable rights" which the Declaration says have been given to all humans by their creator, and which governments are created to protect.

Source(s): bisexual Christian
    • Lampa5 months agoReport

I think you right. To live in liberty and have the ability to pursue your goals.

Why some say "to own a house..."? Lots in other countries can own house.

Why some say "to have a middle class job..."? Lots can have middle class job.

How about "to start your own business?" Or "to retire early"?

Freedom to create your own destiny. Middle class job, home in the burbs, late model car, send your kids to college & go on the yearly vacation to the beach (or wherever).

• Lampa5 months agoReport

Why is it people think that middle class is the American dream? Shouldn't it be upper class?

• Bill

to own all of other people rights so they don't have any

the stereotypical "american dream" is wealth and fame through hard work. however, many people presently argue that the american dream is dead, or has changed from what it once was.

The american dream of the 60's has long since passed, and it is now debt, homelessness and defense. Then again, there was no such thing as the american dream. It is one big lie.

• rootbrian2000

There are so many different opinions on the dream from the 1960's, I just put out mine.

The American Dream is one of those terms that is intentionally ill-defined. A politcian speaking to a crowd will use the term knowing that just about everyone in the crowd has his own definition, and hoping each will hear the term and think it means what he wants it to mean. GHW Bush used it in almost every speech, but never defined it.

To me, the American Dream is the idea that a person born in poverty can transcend his roots, can get out of poverty by being smart and working hard. We used to call this 'social mobility', and we claimed to have INVENTED it. But these days we do it worse than anyone. The driver of social mobility is good public education, but we've decided we don't want to do that anymore.

Today, as someone said, you'd have to be asleep to believe in the American Dream.

My own American Dream was to have a good career, buy a home, and retire with enough to live on for the rest of my life. Well I'm retired now, house paid for, money in the bank. Medicare. SS every month. MY American Dream came true. But I was lucky. I -wasn't- born poor. Or a minority race. For someone without my own advantages, it would have been a lot harder.

To own property and have a nuclear family, and be an invested part of your regional community and culture. America has been hijacked by toxic activists, and is seemingly doomed without radical and instant statist reform.

If you are a democrat it is to burn down America.