promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
jessica asked in Dining OutFast Food · 10 months ago

I have a 03 Silverado and just upgraded door speakers. Need help picking out amplifier!?

I’m looking into getting a 10 inch kicker for under the back seat or on the seat. I’m oblivious to technology and looking for advise on what kind of amp I should get to power the amp and speakers. Not looking to play music incredibly loud, just want the bass to sound better now that my door speakers sound so great. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Kate
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

You are asking your question in the "Dining Out" section. Probably not the best spot to get good answers.

• Gold Diggers10 months agoReport

The level 7 idiots are moving it around and putting it out of order.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 10 months ago

You should try the products of Woodman as it deals in Car stereos and amplifiers. Woodman 10 Inch BoomBox Beast with In-built Amplifier Subwoofer. Trying this will be the right decision for you.

Attachment image
  • Anonymous
    10 months ago

Since you FAILED providing its information we can't go any further than this. When you ask a question, you need to provide adequate information about your equipment and how many you have.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

Try asking us again, this time by giving us the exact model of subwoofer and door speakers and how many door speakers there are in total. Power handling ability and impedance will determine the nature of the amplifier you need to purchase.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 10 months ago

Putting the subwoofer "on the seat" isn't a good idea. During an accident, it can harm you and your passengers. Unless the subwoofer is safely sealed onto the seat.

Most aftermarket speakers sound MUCH better than a stock speaker. That is why you are impressed with it. To get it to play much better and louder, you need a 2-4 channel amplifier around 50-75 watts per channel. Aftermarket speakers perform much better around 75-100 watts but 50 watts is adequate.

You said that "you are looking into getting a 10 inch subwoofer". Since you don't have a subwoofer yet, I'll recommend one for you along with a monoblock. Get the Soundqubed HDS2.1 10 inch DVC 4 ohm and the Soundqubed S1-850 monoblock. Wire it in parallel for a 2 ohm load and your monoblock will give your subwoofer about 600-630 watts. That's ONLY if the gain on the monoblock is properly SET. The gain is NOT a volume control.

If you can't afford it, then you need to make some savings.

• 10 months ago

A basic 4 channel amp would work great. You can run two channels in bridged mode to power the sub and use the other two for the speakers. A 50x4 would be on the small side, but functional. Something in the 75-100w x 4 range would probably be ideal. That would give you 75-100w for each of the front speakers + 200-400w for the sub (assuming it is 4 ohms).

There are a few decent low cost options in the $100-125 range. A lot of other options 150-175. Of course, if you have the budget the good stuff is $200+.

• N2Audio
      Lv 7
      10 months agoReport

5 thumbs down? Nice. We are really piling up the moron voters here at YA!

• 10 months ago

A good stereo system should be balanced for fidelity and cover the full audio spectrum. Your door speakers please you, so you may get a good performance just adding a mono amp and sub. Starting at zero experience, you could at least go to a good stereo shop and audition the equipment on display for better ideas about what you NEED to make your system sound as good as it can. If you ever went to a good live performance, you are slightly acquainted with how a stereo should sound. The best to hope for is to have it sound just like being there with the band and singers. By the way, is your truck very noisy? If so overcoming that noise with the stereo is the minimum. A professional installer can put together what you need.

• 10 months ago

Without more specifics on the Brand, Make and Model of the speakers and the sub, we do not know what kind of power is required. 10 inch kicker is like saying I have a big Honda...Honda what? What year? Civic? Accord? CRX, CRV? Element, Odyssey? And then even more so, DX, LX, EX, Automatic, Manual etc? We need the specifics to give a specific answer. Also your price range...How much are you looking to spend? If you just have 2 door speakers and one sub in one vehicle then you ll need AT LEAST a 3 channel amp. One channel per speaker/sub. But as far as specifically how much power is needed per channel, again depends on what kind of speakers/subs you have.

• 10 months ago

I miss typed my original thread. Looking for an amp to power the SUB and door speakers. At the moment I don’t have much information on the door speakers, the box is in the garage with all the information. But I can say they’re rather expensive marine grade speakers that were originally purchased for our SXS. We thought we were buying 2 separate speakers but when they came in the mail there was 2 speakers in each box so I decided to put the extras in my truck instead of returning them.

• The Devil
      Lv 7
      10 months agoReport

If you don't know the specs none of us can give recomendations. For all we know they could be 10 watt midrange squakers. Giving too much power to a speaker will cause distortion and damage.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    10 months ago
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.