Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesNew York City · 5 months ago

How to respond from “where are you from?”?

How do I respond from this question? Thank you

I’m Filipino, born in New York, currently live in another state

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago

Just say, I am from New York.

• Sally
    Lv 4
    5 months ago

I say "The country of Africa".

Source(s): Joe Biden
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

If you are from new york then you should know how to answer it. I don't play that game. I let people know "everywhere" & i am 'crazy" when they ask me....

By the way i am from Brooklyn....

• 5 months ago

Just say "I'm from the hood cuz aye yo wazzup blood?"

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • DEBS
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Depends on what the context is, but in general the answer would be either NY (if you actually lived there for some time and consider yourself having true history there) or your current state. Then sit back and watch them try to figure out how to ask you properly to get the answer of where your family came from.

• John P
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

If I am feeling flippant, I say that I am a Vectensian. The reference is to a medium-sized island just off the south coast of England. Since birth I have lived in more places than I care to count, chiefly in southern England and Australia.

• 5 months ago

I moved around a lot as a kid and adult. When asked I just say the place I lived the longest or most fond of. If you graduated high school and college in the same area, then that by default if where you are from.

• 5 months ago

I live in Minnesota but grew up in New York. Your ethnic background is not what people are asking about when they ask where you're from.

• I'm Dominican and I grew up in NYC. I came to the states a couple of months before I turned 4 in 1981 and I'm 42 now. I tell people I'm from NY even though I was born in DR. Unless they're more specific and ask "Where are you originally from?"

• 5 months ago

I’m Filipino, born in New York, currently live in another state

- that sounds fine to me.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

You’re from New York based upon what you yourself wrote.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.