Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 5 months ago

Why does my car get better gas mileage than what it states on the window sticker?

It says 40 mpg HWY but I get 50 mpg.

Must be your johnson rod

• zipper

Because your either a beater driver than average, or your doing the math wrong. Most the time the sticker mileage is a littl bit lower than what you do get. At last you asked an honest question!

The sticker #'s are conservative estimates.

Depending on how you drive, the terrain you drive on, city vs. highway, etc. you may get better or worse that those numbers.

My 2012 Nissan Versa is listed at a combined 30mpg - but I regularly get far better than that even though I drive fairly fast most of the time (easily 40+ mpg). The 6-speed manual transmission has a lot to do with the numbers I get.

Because late at night, I sneak over to your house and dump a couple gallons of gas into your tank. Otherwise, there;s no way you're getting 50mpg.

Some years back, I had a little Chevy Sprint, which was made by Suzuki, with a small 3 cylinder engine, and 5 speed manual that WOULD get 50mpg, all day long.

EPA ratings don't reflect real world driving. They do their test in a lab.

Sometimes higher or lower depending how YOU drive.

Actually, you're right. I've owned lots of cars and two of them did that. One was a 1999 Toyota Corolla LE. EPA HWY MPG stated 38 mpg; I would easily hit 42-43 MPG regularly. Currently drive a 2015 Honda Accord Sport with CVT and I get around 43 hwy, but I tried hypermiled it a week ago on a road trip to see how high I can achieve. I hit 51 mpg at 65 mph. Around town, I get low 30's. EPA states 24 city/34 highway. No way in hell I get mileage that low, unless I'm spirited driving. Luckily, the EPA ratings don't reflect real world driving. They do their test using lab simulations. Cars today get impressive gas mileage.

You can well get better but 50 is hard to believe. One tankful is not reliable.

Who know's I hope you're not complaining. Sometime in your life you might happen to find out what happened but don't test fate.

• Gabe

Easy. You're full of s hit.

• Ron

No it doesn't