kaitlyn asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

why won't my dog go up or down the stairs anymore?

I have a 10 year old corgi and he's never had a problem with stairs before. this problem started these last few days. he will stand at the stairs and whine until someone carries him. he doesn't seem scared, and I also know that he's not in pain because he jumps on/off beds with no problem. just yesterday when he saw me taking his leash out, he got excited for his walk and went down the stairs by himself (slowly, after hesitating). why is he doing this? I don't know if this matters, but he has fallen down the stairs once. it was months ago, he showed no signs of fear after that and continued using the stairs normally. that was the only time he fell, to and to my knowledge it has not happened recently so it can't be fear right? he's old but he shows no sign of age or pain just yet. just today he was running around the house like crazy, anybody know why he won't use the stairs?

• In

Arthritis......

He probably forgot how to use the stairs. I suggest retraining him.

Have you considered a Stannah stair lift?

We all would just be guessing here. Take your dog to your Vet for an exam. It could be hurting somewhere, bad eye sight, not sure, your Vet can help you with this. I would not let your dog use the stairs any more either, it could be very dangerous, broken bones, paralysis, torn tendons. Good Luck!

• Ocimom

He still may have leg, joint or back problems. I would have the vet take a look at him. If its arthritis he can take meds to relieve the pain so he can go up and down stairs.

Keep in mind that dogs like Corgies, Dachshunds, Bassets with the short legs tend to have more back problems and should NOT be encouraged to go up and down stairs and you should try to prevent them from jumping up or down from a bed.

your dog is now 10 years old, he has within the past recent months fallen down the stairs.. and now you notice caution and fear, he refuses...what I think is remarkable is that for the past 10 years of his life he willingly, unhesitatingly risked life and limb to do this.. this breed, the corgi is a short legged dog, low to the ground with a lot of weight for short legs to carry...going down stairs with just a tiny misstep could result in disaster and your dog is paying attention...his age also is making him feel more vulnerable.. even though your corgi is jumping off your bed the same laws of gravity applies, this is dog with very short legs and large body mass, if he lands incorrectly might suffer injury...unless the floor has significant cushioning.

Try eating your dog's food so that he will feel encouraged

• Grandma6 months agoReport

I ate a teaspoon of dog food on a dare, and ended up in hospital for 6 days close to death with C-diff. Do not eat dog food ever.

Bad back. Stairs hurt. Take him to the vet.

• RockIt

Its likely arthritis in his hips. Take him to a vet. They will decide what to do to manage the pain, arthritis, or possible back injury/disk issue..

You should get him checked for arthritis maybe he jumps up and down the bed because it’s easy but the stairs are not maybe he’s developing it but still the vet check is necessary maybe something spooked him on the stairs there’s many possibilities