Why won't my dog go up or down the stairs anymore?

I have a 10 year old corgi and he's never had a problem with stairs before. this problem started these last few days. he will stand at the stairs and whine until someone carries him. he doesn't seem scared, and I also know that he's not in pain because he jumps on/off beds with no problem. just... show more I have a 10 year old corgi and he's never had a problem with stairs before. this problem started these last few days. he will stand at the stairs and whine until someone carries him. he doesn't seem scared, and I also know that he's not in pain because he jumps on/off beds with no problem. just yesterday when he saw me taking his leash out, he got excited for his walk and went down the stairs by himself (slowly, after hesitating). why is he doing this? I don't know if this matters, but he has fallen down the stairs once. it was months ago, he showed no signs of fear after that and continued using the stairs normally. that was the only time he fell, to and to my knowledge it has not happened recently so it can't be fear right? he's old but he shows no sign of age or pain just yet. just today he was running around the house like crazy, anybody know why he won't use the stairs?
13 answers 13