Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 6 months ago

Do words exist?

• Roger

I'm not sure what your question means or if you are serious. Of course words "exist" in the sense that anything else exists that one can apprehend with the senses: eyeglasses, buildings, other people, the sun. On the other hand, the function of words is to represent things: eyeglasses, buildings, and so on—even words themselves. And words are distinctly not the thing that they represent: words are not eyeglasses themselves, words are not the sun, words in this sense are not even the words that they themselves represent. This may seem trivial (I guess) or confusing, but it is a crucial philosophical distinction because people do have a tendency to substitute words for the realities they stand for and therefore ascribe deductions made from language for deductions about the world. Linguistic structures create a world in the mind. In that world, things are true and false, but true and false are properties of language, not of the world itself. (This thought is not original with me but comes from Chapter IV of Thomas Hobbes's book "Leviathan.") However, I'm not sure if all this is what you are asking about, assuming you are asking about anything at all.

but words arent real

...---,,,---///

"I am because I think I am!"