hi
hi asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 5 months ago

Etiquette: is it wrong to mow someone else's backyard's lawn?

So my neighbors went on vacation and they asked some neighbor to mow their lawn and if he failed to do it then I was their second option... Well, that neighbor has failed to mow their lawn during the last 3 weeks or so .... therefore 2 days ago I decided to mow their front yard... However, I don't know if mowing their backyard's lawn would be invasion of their privacy?

You see, I lack social skills... I guess i'm kind of autistic so I don't know which behaviors are acceptable and which ones aren't... According to my aunt i shouldn't cut their backyard's lawn because that would be intrusion of their private property.. she also argues that when the neighbors come back , if they find something missing inside their house, they will blame me. . but i find hard to believe that they don't have a camera or an alarm installed. .She says that mowing the front yard is alright because people can see me while I'm doing it..

It's just that I like mowing lawns... I'm not charging them money nor anything like that.

Thank you for your assistance.

• PAMELA

Oh just leave the lawn alone, they will be back soon and can cut it themselves.

• Question5 months agoReport

I don't know where you or the guy who asked the question live... but in my community you would get finned if you let two weeks go by without mowing your lawn... specially during the summer..

• `

You've already "intruded on their private property" by mowing the front yard. You might as well go all out and mow the backyard too.

• Marla

I think it is a nice gesture, however, it is better to try to check first with your neighbor. You expose yourself to liability if you go in their property without their permission.

• Ann

I wouldn't mow anything that can't be readily seen from the street. That means not going into the back yard. When they return, they'll realize that the original person they asked didn't do his job.

i think you should ask your neighbor if they want you to do that

If you know your neighbor you can mow the front and their back grass for them while they're on vacation . If you don't know your neighbor don't mow any of his grass stay away from the house because they'll try to blame you for stuff that's missing. But if you know the neighbor don't do half a job mow the yard. And don't worry about accusations that something is missing. if something turns up missing and you're not the one that took it tell your neighbor to call the police and that you will go with the officer to the station to take the lie detector test.

to me , "mow the lawn" means front and back...I don't know anyone who would think that is an invasion of privacy...what is so private about a backyard?

• Question5 months agoReport

well, judging by the other answers, it sounds like many people consider the "backyard" to be something very private... Weird, when you consider that most thieves prefer using the front door over the backyard's door.

• Mr. P

I would just mow the front to keep it looking tidy from the street. They can take it up with the original person they asked for the back, and is not so important anyway.

I'd be honored to have you as a neighbor

If you want to mow the back yard, ask the designated (and delinquent) lawn mower for access.