Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 5 months ago

Should I charge my son rent?

My son is almost 23, just graduated college, and is still living at home. Should I begin charging him rent for him to live here?

$75 a week would be low, but enough. My nephew is a 36 year old drug addict. My wife allowed him to stay a ”few weeks". I hired him to do unskilled labor at my company for $12 per hour. I fired him his 3rd day. He never paid a dime. My wife is soft, wouldn't let me toss him out after a month. Finally wore out his welcome in 4 monrths. Kicked him out. He got back in squatters rights. Cost us over $2,000 in legal fees.. Took over a year to remove him. Don’t make that mistake. Non payment of rent is how we got rid of him, eventually.

No don’t charge him rent.

I believe you should charge him something as well as have him contribute to the household in some other fashion. Like cleaning and cooking duties or even shopping. If he has these responsibilities, he will develop a sense of pride in himself and learn the value of his work and community spirit as being a contributing member of the home. AKA responsibility to himself and others.

• e9601:

Yes of course you should.

any family member never ever

they are there to help you from time to time and help them save money

for later when they are ready to move out but ..........never charge them a room

that is just plan wrong , shame on you for ever asking for money from any family member

and your kids it does not even matter if they are in there 20s to 40s

• roderick_young

Charging rent is a kindness, teaching responsibility. The rent does not need to be so oppressive that the child can never save.

I m 24 and have been paying rent for 4 years. Started at £200 and now I upped It to £250 as It s unfair for my dad to pay for me.

• William5 months agoReport

As Candelabrum said I don't have the children, I am the child. Technically speaking haha.

no, sell the house, give him 50%, and retire.

Yeah I think it’s fair.

• MARIAN

Don't consider it "rent"! Tell him how much he needs to contribute to the house!

• KTJoe

Don't charge rent wait until son is age 25.

• bluebellbkk

Why, what's so magic about being 25? If he's over 18 and earning a wage, he should be contributing to household expenses in some way, and 'rent' is as good a way as any.