Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 5 months ago

Should I move out right after I graduate college?

I have been working since high school, so after I graduate college, I will have about $20,000 saved up. That should be enough for a small apartment. Even after I pay my tuition for next semester, I will still have more than $10,000 left in my bank account.

If you're parents are not putting you out, stay there and save up as long as possible. Offer to pay some rent or buy food or something to help contribute.

You don't get an apartment without a job...period. Many places would require a year or two of stable income too...

• Kim R

What you need to do is graduate first, find a job second, then move out AFTER you have secured a good job. You do not know where that will be (it may be in another state), so you continue to save until you know exactly where your job will be located. Then you look for a place near your job to lessen transportation time and costs. Be logical and do all things in the correct order if you want to be successful.

• Lv 7

you should save that money. it will be gone quick.

try to split an apartment with a friend you trust. the saved cash will go even farther.

and never assume you will get a job quickly.

i'd buy a used car if you don't have one...

My magic 🎱 says yes move out.

but what will your monthly salary be? you typically need to be earning at least 3x rent.

if things are good with your parents, better to stay there, pay your expenses (including utilities) and save some more money

• Tj

Finish college first and keep saving. $10,000 goes very fast today.

If you can afford it and that’s what you want to do, sure, go for it.

What you "should" do is talk to your parents about this. Are they happy continuing to subsidize the life of a university educated adult or would they like to have their house and lives back?

Not everything revolves around you, dear.