Kilroy
Kilroy asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 5 months ago

Cheat as a noun?

I know cheat means dishonest person but is it used in plural as well? would it make sense to say you cheats!

"Cheat" as a noun is in common use in English in most English speaking countries. "Cheater" is common in the USA but not elsewhere. I'm not American and I don't think I have ever used the word "cheater" and have rarely heard anyone use it in Britain, New Zealand or Australia. "Cheat" works the same way as most nouns, one cheat, two cheats.

• John P

From an early age in the 1950s in Britain I knew "cheat" as a noun and a verb.

• audrey

Only if you were talking to two or more people who were cheating.

• Cogito

You can say "you are a cheat" or "You (plural) are cheats."

In American English we very often use a noun as a verb and vice versa. But when we used 'cheat' as a noun it's a 'regular noun', i.e. plural is 'cheats'. I am/you are/he or she is/ a cheat. They are cheats.

Technically, yes, but "cheaters" would be better. "Cheat" as a noun seems dated - like it would fit better in the Prohibition era.