Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 5 months ago

When it comes to home repairs, why is it best to hire a professional rather than looking up YouTube videos to do it yourself?

Well, I suppose it depends on what you're talking about. Is it just a light bulb to replace or a room addition? If it's a major project and you don't feel qualified to do the work yourself, then hire a professional. If it's something you feel confidant you can complete, then do your own research and save some money. There is also the fact that if something goes wrong with say some wiring that needs to be done and you do it yourself, the homeowners insurance may not cover any additional damage that could occur. This is just an example, but there are many instances where a professional will know certain codes and regulations. Other wise, just get an estimate from a pro and see what they tell you about doing it yourself. Estimates are free and you could learn a few things from a contractor/professional while they are in your home. Good luck.

Almost everyone has a degree of skill. How far that skill goes varies greatly. Anyone can attempt a home improvement project but how professional it looks when completed is a whole other story.

I can, for instance fill new sheetrock with compound over the seams and the screws, but I have yet to master mudding the corners, so I leave that part to a professional. I learned how to paint through trial and error and now I love to paint and have gotten pretty good at it. I roofed my shed, but I would never consider roofing my house (it has ridges and valleys and dormers galore). I have built retaining walls and leveled a driveway with tons of dirt and gravel then lined it with Belgium blocks. I laid a bluestone walkway, but I do not think I can successfully build a bluestone patio. I have stripped furniture and sanded floors to refinish the wood. I can also change out a light fixture, but that is as far as I go with electricity and plumbing is way out of my league.

I have hung kitchen cabinets, laid vinyl, tile and wood floors. I even was able to fill in a bullet hole in the floor and managed to paint the grain of the wood over the patch job to conceal the damage (don't ask!!).

So, I think home repairs can be done by a DIY'er, as long as you know your limitations, start and finish a project before beginning a new one and know when to hire a professional.

I have checked youtube vids to get ideas on tricks and hacks on how to do things easier and how to do them right. Just by watching a video, you will know if your skill set can manage the job, or not. Often a professional can be cheaper to complete a job than to come and fix the job you did incorrectly!!

your resources,,money set aside a bank loan,your fitness & desire to save piles of cash for other things, time,jumble it all up find what matters most,,yt has a lot of diy expertise,some pros,best to consider what you want to do,

Most home repairs can be done by the homeowner with videos, until they can't, like flooring a vinyl bathroom.

It isn't always better. If you are able to understand the project, and physically capable of the task, DIY is at least as good as hiring a pro. The problem comes when you don't truly understand the project, and run into complications not covered in the video. Then you have a mess that takes the pro longer to fix than it would have taken for them to do the job from the start.

If you have to look it up, you'll probably screw it up. Hire a pro.

• John

It is important to know your limitations. And then I will point to my father, God rest his soul, who certainly was "handy". Problem was, he had no standards of quality so everything he touched looked like crap.

• Bryan

Its not always best. Many home repairs are relatively simple and a person can save money by doing their own. Also, looking up the repair on youtube can also help by showing what is involved in a repair and maybe for some people keep them from trying to fix something that is too difficult for them.

cause theyre rnore used to doing it than you are

It depends on the job. I've done some jobs on my house--installing a sink, a water heater, replaced a GFR circuit breaker, etc. But other jobs--putting on a new roof, for instance--I've left to professionals.

• I did a roof when I was younger. Boat load of work, but it can be done. I would not do it now....