Can I switch a helix percing to a plastic one after 4 weeks?

See I got my ear pierced with a helix and the one below that and then the following week I got a letter saying that I have an MRI scan appointment (I m not willing to disclose what for) and I know you re supposed to take out piercings. I already have long healed ones in my face which I can just take out. I bought some plastic ones for my ear because I know I m not supposed to take them out but honestly I have no other choice. It will be a hour or two at the most and I ll soak the metal percing I salt water before putting it back in. I think I ll be alright judging that my ear is no longer sore. I m really checking with others to see what they think.

• Laura

No.

It takes this piercing 6 - 12 months to fully heal. You cannot change the jewelry on your own until it is fully healed.

Because you can't have the metal jewelry in your ear you should get glass jewelry instead. Any professional piercer worth your time will have this. Have them change the jewelry. Once the jewelry has been changed keep that clear glass jewelry in there until the piercing has fully healed, then you can change it to something else.

piercings heal from the outside in. It might look and feel fine right now but that doesn't mean that it is fully healed. The inside of your ear is still healing. Changing the jewelry on your own will cause a ton of problems mainly infection. Using plastic is basically guaranteeing infection, because plastic is porous it will hold onto bacteria. Changing the jewelry back to what you have now after the scan is an even worse idea. Not only will you be causing a massive amount of scar tissue buildup by changing it without professional training, but without an autoclave you can't kill the bacteria on the metal jewelry. You will be sticking dirty jewelry back into a freshly irritated wound. This is a perfect recipe for infection.

Just go to a piercer and have them change it for you. Its safer and less to deal with.

I mean, you have no choice and have to do what you have to do, but I would honestly be very aware that this could cause a lot of irritation after the fact. Do NOT overclean this, DO NOT mess with it more than you have to, and DO NOT come up with crazy concoctions, thinking it will make it better, should anything happen.

You're going to irritate the heck out of it, but again, I get it. I've been there, too. I've had to take out new piercings and try and save them for all sorts of reasons, but never did one come without some kind of horrible irritation after. Just take it out, swap, do what you have to, swap, clean it, ICE, ICE, ICE, and go back to your healing instructions as normal.