Tim asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 5 months ago

I'm trying to save just the Introduction of my book as a document to be sent out to publishers?

• Tina

Unless they've asked to see it, do not send your introduction to publishers. If you can find any publishers who accept unsolicited ms then follow their submission requirements.

Otherwise try agents who are accepting submissions and again, follow their submission requirements. I doubt if anyone will ask to see the introduction.

• Amber

I think you need to learn more about the business your trying to enter before you end up on **** creek.

I'm not really sure what your questions is, but you need to choose an agent to send samples of your manuscript to. Most publishing houses don't accept unsolicited ms anymore. The agency will have a website where it will have requirements for submitting.

• Cogito

Authors don't send introductions to books to anyone - no-one wants that.

And they don't approach publishers at all.

You'd need to send the entire, completed, proofed and edited novel to a huge number of literary agents and hope that one of them expresses an interest. Agents are the ones who negotiate with publishers.

• Tina

agents who are accepting submissions and deal with the genre you write in (a filter which brings the number down sharpish.)

I'm sorry, Tim-Tom, but it's impossible. We've just had a meeting and we've decided that you're too stupid to be allowed to do that. Yes, that's right. We say Timmsy-Tom *must* delete his introduction. Now. Hope this helped.

This isn't difficult. Whatever word processing software you are using can do this, just as bluebellbkk explains.

Open a new document.

Select the introduction. Press Ctrl and C to copy it. Go to the new document. Press Ctrl and V to paste it there. Confirm that any paragraph breaks and indentations are the way you want them. Save the new document with a name like "BlueSapsucker-Intro" so anyone would know it's only the introduction and what book it's the introduction to.

Harder questions to answer for yourself: What publisher wants only the introduction? Usually commercial publishers are interested in that only when they have contracted to publish the book. Do you have a contract? Have you checked out the legitimacy of this publisher? How? What reasons do you have to presume they are legitimate? Have you seen their physical books in stores? Does their website's main purpose appear to be book sales to the reading public? Did you check them at Writer Beware and AbsoluteWrite?

(Yeah, I ask all the hard questions. It's my special power.)

OK great, but what's your question?

FAIL

The publisher's website should have details on what to send for your submission and who to send it to. They tell you how they want it sent to them (as an add on or in the body of the email).

• David

Don't send anything to publishers. Send a query to an agent that is open to queries. Don't send an introduction. Follow the query guidelines.

Yes, and? What's your question?

Do you mean you don't know how to do that? Copy and paste the section that you want to send, save it as a separate document, then either send it as an attachment to an email, or print it out and send it by post.