What kind of insect leaves big itchy welts?

• Lili

Any of them can. I am very sensitive to bug bites of all kinds, and I get big itchy welts from anything that bites me.

Unlike mosquitoes and some other insects, bedbugs bites can become itchy and develop into welts, and many people suffer emotionally.

Any insect that you are allergic to can do this. One of the worst causes of big itchy welts that last more than one week is a chigger (which technically is not an insect).

Lots do actually. Some people are very sensitive to mosquitos for example and get huge welts, or fleas and others not so much. Horse flies often leave almost painful welts. The big itchy welts are due to your body releasing histamine in response to the bite or sting.

• olivia

When a fire ant bites you, you will feel it! An itchy hive will develop. Hours later, a blister filled with pus can form. If you suffer from a severe allergic reaction to a fire ant bite, these bug bites can be life-threatening

Depends what you are allergic to.

• Lôn

Horseflies! ...horrible things.

http://horseflybite.co.uk/