how to tell my dad i m not comfortable calling his fiance "mom"?

• GEEGEE

You tell him the thought makes you uncomfortable, and you'd rather not. I suppose calling her some other

form of endearment could work if you could come up with something, but her first name would be the most simple.

• shaman

She is not your mom. You are in no way obligated to call her as such. Ask your dad how he'd feel if you started calling another man dad. That is his title and his alone. There is nothing wrong with developing a relationship with your soon to be step-mother that gives close to the same love as your mom. In fact that would be a great thing if it works out that way. I hope he opens his blinders up soon to this.

Tell her you have ONE MOTHER and one Mother ONLY. You respect her enough to honor her feelings. Sounds like your dad is trying to start a war between your MOM and his fiancé by using you. Don't fall for it.

Just tell him you will call her by her name as she isn't your Mom

Here is an easy three step way to say "NO":

1) Acknowledge and repeat the request: "Dad, I understand that you want me to call Sue, Mom."

2) Saying NO: "However, Sue is not my mother and I do not feel comfortable calling her Mom. No disrespect intended, but Sue is not my mom."

3) Suggest a Solution: " I would be happy to call her "Sue".

• Lita

Dad, I'll call her a name of her choosing but I won't call her Mom. I'm not comfortable calling her mom and won't be doing so.

Honestly. I heard on the street it's the best policy.

• Kelly

Explain to him (alone) the reasons you do not want to call her mom. I never expected my kids to call their step-dad "dad", they call him by his name.

the sarne way you told us

Just tell him (alone)...just like that. If you were my kid and came to me, and told me that, I would say that's fine and allow you to call her by her first name. He will understand.