How long can a Kia Sedona Automatic drive with a full tank of gas?

I'm thinking of renting a Kia Sedona Automatic (8 seater) for a 8-hour trip. Now I'm wondering how far can I get with a full tank? Perhaps someone owns this very van and knows something.

• zipper

Until the tank is empty. I have no idea how you drive, what size tank the KIA has or what kind of mileage they give. Nor do I care to know!

Depends on the terrain...if you are driving in the mountains, or long flat highways, in city traffic with many intersections where you have to stop and go, and the SPEED, and how loaded(do you have 8 fat Mother's+luggage) and tires quality and pressure, and engine tune up condition.

Everything has a bearing on your fuel economy.

. Fuel economy ratings are meaningless since they do that on a dyno so the vehicle never moves(so does not experience wind resistance and wind drag.

If you travel in the mountains, then 6 hours of driving will bring the fuel tan down to last 1/4 or 1/8th tank.

. I know I was doing that through the mountains(with a different vehicle carrying 1 ton of weight). 8 people @250lbs for them and their stuff average is 1 ton. So same dead weight. My roads at max was 60MPH and most of the time could not do that as there was a hill going up.

So am thinking 300 miles which is about average. Average speed will be about 40MPH. So that is 7 hours of driving. That is a long time. You do not want to do 8. 7 was hell without a break. The gas station was the break from monotony. That is with standard size fuel tank.

It depends on how fast you drive, how far you go and how much weight you carry.

• JetDoc

You can go as far as the car will let you. When the gas gauge reads EMPTY, it's time to stop.

• Gabe

It can drive until the gas light comes on. Or in layman's terms "low fuel".

• A.J.

Engineering estimate, (though not an automotive engineer) is 350 miles to refill.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs...

2019 Kia Sedona 3.3 L, 6 cyl, Automatic (S8) EPA Fuel Economy Regular Gasoline

Combined MPG:21 City MPG:18 Highway MPG:24 21.1 Gallon Tank

Now, let's try to estimate your trip

80% Highway, 20% Street (0.8 x 24 + 0.2 x 18 = 22.8 mpg)

AC on, assume fairly fully loaded in weight of passengers and cargo (open windows also lowers mpg)

(22.8 x 0.80 = 18.24)

Warm weather improvement in fuel economy > 19

19 x 21.1 gallons = 400.9

Though EPA range is 443 miles, my closer to real world of your proposal is about 400 miles full to empty.

Given that people don't drive to an empty tank without panic and that fuel stations are not everywhere, 350 miles is what I would plan as range to refuel.

19mpg is a good number to use if sharing or planning expenses.

Come back after your trip and comment how close I was in this.

• don r

You can figure this out to a fair estimate, but not an exact answer. There is an EPA mpg estimate and the tank capacity is absolute. Variables are, speed, terrain, load, wind, traffic, God's will and where you stop for toilet breaks. If all this is too much for you, take the bus instead.

Rented one once. They get about 24-26 miles to the gallon.

• Speed

"Every 2018 Kia Sedona model is outfitted with a 21.1-gallon fuel tank and can cover approximately 379.8 city miles or 506.4 highway miles." That far enough?

Until it runs out.