bri asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 5 months ago

Are there laws against hair color in a work place?

I know there’s dress code, but I applied for a job at seabreeze (a small amusement park) and I recently dyed my hair. I got 2 interviews which means I had a good chance of getting the job. My hair was short, mostly dark purple with some blue streaks. They said I looked like a mermaid and would have to dye my hair back to a natural color if I wanted to work there. Everyone I talked too said that was crazy! What place that hires teens (everyone dyes their hair crazy colors) would have a dress code against hair? I checked online and didn’t see anything like that in their dress code. I’m pretty sure they give us a hat to wear as part of the outfit, which would of covered most my hair anyways. But I’m just wondering if a lot of jobs will regect me because of my hair.

• Best answer

I don't think there's any laws about un natural hair colors in the work place, but some places have dress code policies that don't allow un natural hair colors. It's not that they may not like them, but the employer may think they're not professional looking.

If you don't see it in their dress code, then ask the manager about it before you apply to the job. If the employer doesn't care what hair color you have, then that's fine. My employer is like that. My hair has been pink, bright red, purple and is currently blue. They don't care what color your hair is, as long as you can do your job along with following policies of the company.

• I was also going to add, if some one tells you about the mermaid thing.. Tell them hey that's what I was going for thanks.

The place I work at has a dress code. No blue jeans. And keep hair trim and neat.

One of the managers had long hair with a pony tail, and a beard, and he had to

cut it. I thought he looked fine, but apparently, they can dictate how you groom yourself.

• Mystic

The employer is allowed to request only "natural" looking hair colors. They want you to look professional and approachable, not immature (I know it's a generalization, but some people do indeed find people with funky hair unapproachable, immature, etc.).

BUT there are plenty of places that will hire you even if you do have "unnaturally colored hair". You just have to look around. Remember though, having an income is MUCH more important than having purple hair, so learn to prioritize and don't be unwilling to make a sacrifice in order to get a job. Dying your hair a different color that's deemed acceptable by your employer would not be a big or life-ending sacrifice, trust me.

Also, not EVERY teenager dyes their hair weird colors or in general. I never did when I was a teen. I still don't now because well, I like my natural hair color.

That is bull shiit

Laws do not dictate physical appearance or dress code to employers. When you work for an employer, you are representing the company. The company has a right to choose employees that they believe would make their company proud. And "everyone" does NOT dye their hair crazy colors. Very few teens do and those who do, most have parents who don't care about their kids and let them run wild. Many are neglected - and it shows in the kids.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.

I don't believe there are "laws" against it. However, an employer may or MAY NOT hire you if you don't fit their corporate standard (or dress code). If they pay well, and you want to work there - it might be worth dying your hair - or find a job that doesn't care about that.

No - there aren't laws against it. Most people with half a brain realize that a company in the hospitality business doesn't attract customers with employees who look like brain-dead stoners.

Not natural hair color but colored hair like green,blue,etc

not that i know of but i would take the dye off if you want the job

A job is allowed to fire or hire someone based on his or her choice to dye hair. I guess some employers think that hair that is dyed unnatural colors doesn’t look nice.