A woman contacted me to buy 2 puppies, paid the deposit and now wants her money back after I've held them 2 extra months for her.?

She wanted a discount for buying 2 and I gave her 100 off each puppy and asked me to hold the puppies an additional 6 weeks. On day before pickup she says she can t get them and wants her deposit back. I turned down other people. Any advice?

• In

Deduct a reasonable boarding fee for the two extra months and refund the difference, if any, then resell the pooches.

• Anna E

You are right to do so. Often it is more difficult to sell older pups. You basically fed and provided health care for HER dogs. If you can sell them at full price, you might consider giving her the deposit back, but you don't have to.

Unless you actually have proof stated in your terms and conditions or the origional advert to say that the Deposit was NON refundable there isnt a lot you can do other than give the deposit back and re advertise them.

• Ocimom

Yes my advice to you is to spay/neuter your adult dogs. You eat any loss and you give back her deposit. A REPUTABLE breeder NEVER sells 2 puppies to one person no matter how much they want one. So you are a crappy backyard breeder who cares more about making a dollar then about the puppies you breed.

You give her the deposit and you advertise the puppies again and sell them SEPARATE.

• Jojo

Me too. Unless the breeder is very well acquainted with the buyer and knows that the buyer will be experienced enough to cope properly with rearing 2 sibling pups. Jmo.

• Eva

If you had a written contract or bill of sale that said the deposit was non-refundable, then you have no problem. If there wasn't, I still wouldn't return the deposit and tell her that it only covers part of the expense of keeping the puppies for her for 2 months, as well as the inconvenience and expense of now having to find other buyers.

Tell her boarding costs are $30 a day x 60 days.Would you like the bill sent in the mail or hand delivered..

If you didn't have it in writing, you're screwed.

What does your contract say about cancellation? Does it state that the deposit it non-refundable?

You should have stipulated in the contract that the deposit would go towards boarding fees should she change her mind.

• *****

What's your contract say?

Just tell her that the deposit has served as boarding charges & do not return her money. Working with flaky people you have to protect yourself. She put the screws to you & then has the gall to ask for the deposit back. NO, I don't think so. She screwed up possible sales for those two pups. Now they won't be able to get sold, they are too old. Don't let her screw you.

• Kreaky Kiwi5 months agoReport

if they aren't, then the "breeder" didn't deserve any money anyway, and the discovery might convince her to never bother breeding again!