Stanley asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 5 months ago

How to get a credit card when you have no credit history?

I have been trying to get my first credit card for a while now and every where I go they always tell me the same thing. Since I have no credit history they won't give me a credit card. Before you answer keep in mind the first place I went was my bank.

I have opened a Fingerhut account in the past to help build credit. Fingerhut reports to credit bureaus. The products are overpriced and the shipping is ridiculous but you can purchase some small item and make the payments. It will help for sure.

Ugh, so much misinformation and just stupid comments.

Apply for a secured card. It's how many people start out. Capital One Secured and Discover It Secured are both relatively easy to get. You can do a pre-qualification application with Capital One (I think both do it but not 100%. I know Cap One does for sure). Cap One will tell you whether or not you're approved and how much your minimum deposit is. They are the only one who doesn't always do a 1:1 deposit/credit amount. Some people get a $49 deposit. Others get $99 or $200. It varies due to what they see on your report. That deposit secures you $200 in credit. You can add more and will increase the limit by the extra amount you deposit. Discover does a 1:1 deposit. Their minimum is $200. You can deposit up to $2,500 with Discover and $1,000 with Cap One. Discover starts reviewing accounts at 7 months to see if your payment history and any other credit shows that they can unsecure it. Capital One reviews beginning at a year.

• SumDude

fyi: You are a bit judgemental for being new on here. {Sometimes we veterans get tired of fully answering the same questions over an over so we give short answers.}

Apply for a secured credit card.

• ele5 months agoReport

Wanna Check your credit score for FREE!! Hurry....

Click here Get your Credit Report online in just 2 minutes with IndiaLends absolutely Free

Apply for a secured card and see if they will approve that. If they do use it wisely and make sue payments are made. It will improve your credit and they will raise the amount you can charge on the card in time, and eventually refund what you paid for the card.

First, you stop trying, immediately. You build a record of going over a year without trying, not even once.

Then, when you have not tried, not even once, in over a year, you try only one time for only a Capital One card or only a secured credit card. You do not go to more than one place under any circumstances. If you are not success on your very first try, then you wait over a year before trying again anywhere.

Once you try anywhere, you don't have no history. You have a history of having already tried, and that makes it harder to get a card anywhere else for a year.

• Jessica5 months agoReport

There is no reason to wait a year before trying to apply again. It's not even logical to suggest that because inquiries stay on the report for 2 yrs. So waiting a year does nothing. They can apply for a secured card and get one rather easy without having to wait.

• Never

Discover secured card is I believe the best. They did not have them way back when I was trying to get my first card. I had to get my dad to cosign.

• Jessica5 months agoReport

Google "Discover It Secured" and it will be one of the first links. It is a great card considering most secured cards don't offer cash back or any incentives for use and this one does. They also start reviewing accts to become unsecured at the 7 month mark which is better than 12-18 months others do

Friend this is the one and only way to get a credit card if you have no credit and no credit history this is how you start the chain of events working in your favor. First you look up secured credit cards on the web and pick a company you're going to need a deposit your deposit will be the amount that you are allowed in credit. So make your deposit with the company get your credit card when you get your credit card borrow the limit on it in cash and use the cash to open another account for another secured credit card. Then spend a few months paying off what you owe.

When it's totally paid down you can repeat the trick to get another secured card. Get yourself 3 or 4 secured cards and pay them down. Within about a year you'll get an offer in the mail of a pre-approved credit card usually with a $500 limit accept it and get rid of one of the secured cards and get your deposit back so on and so on.

• Jessica5 months agoReport

Suggesting that someone new to credit, take out a cash advance to fund another card is nuts. Especially since cash advances have fees and usually a higher interest rate than the regular interest rate of the card. 100% Bad Advice.

Purchase something at a store that has a time payment option. My first credit was when I was in the military and purchased a small TV from Sears. I paid it off and then applied for and obtained a Sears credit card. After a few store accounts I had the credit to obtain a Visa or Mastercard.

• Stanley5 months agoReport

I tried that numerous times but because I have no credit history they denied it

Actually you do have a credit history. It has all your denied attempts to get a credit card on it. Stop applying. All you're doing at this point is making things worse. Forget getting a credit card for now. Make sure you've got a steady job and try again in a year.

• Stanley5 months agoReport

I have had a steady job the past 7 years

hey i dont know whatyou mean

• SumDude

Something does sound fishy. ... over 21, steadily employed for 7 years ... something else is the problem.