What should you consider before hiring home renovation contractors?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Start with a detailed plan. This is the most important item before you even approach a contractor. Provide a list of specifications ahead of time. Price out your project. Ensure your contractor is insured.

• 5 months ago

are they licenced

• Anna E
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

First don't necessarily go with the cheapest or most expensive. Get some information about the company and do some research online and with the local better business bureau. I belong to Angies list so I can easily see what ratings they are given by other customers and read the reviews. I also do a google search and search BBB website for complaints. Settle on 2 or 3 for an estimate on cost and ask for proof of insurance and contact info for customers they have done business with. But even then, you might have some issues. Make sure everything you want done is in the contract and if there are any changes during the process make sure the contractor writes this in on the contract and that both of you initial and date the change.

• Wundt
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

- Their reputation and references

- Any certifications they might have/require

- The price

- How long they have lived/worked in the area (avoid 'fly by night' contractors)

And, make sure you read the contract entirely before you sign. I've had a lot of verbal promises that weren't in the written contract and so didn't ultimately get done.

Do not sign off or send that last check until the work is done to your satisfaction.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Jea
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Their list of happy customers, or lack thereof.

Track record tells all.

Source(s): I am a contractor.
  • 5 months ago

Talk to people they have worked for.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Most important - the contractor's reputation.

Find someone you know and trust who has already had

home-reno work done. And get great references.

The wrong contractor can really douche-up your house,

and you'll pay a lawyer even more to force them to correct it.

And by then, you're 3-4 years down the road, still living in hell.

Happened to my uncle - he got someone he knew nothing about,

and now he knows more (bad stuff) than he ever wanted to know...

• Jea
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Buyer beware, big time. Without a list of successful projects to show, confidence runs low.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Measure everything, constantly look over their shoulders, don't trust them to be alone in your house.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Excellent references from genuine clients, membership of a really good trade union/association, guarantees of satisfaction, and ideally recommendation from two or more past customers who you know personally.

• Lydia
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

How handsome they are.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.