Should I pour ammonia down a sink drain, then follow with bleach to unclog it?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

NO!!!!! What you should do first is remove the trap under the sink and see if it is clogged which most likely it is. If that is not the problem then call a plumber as the main drain is clogged. No amount of any drain cleaner will unclog it. https://www.plumbingsupply.com/how-to-clean-a-sink... The trap will look something like this.

Attachment image
  • 6 months ago

No. First try CLR and if that is too weak, muriatic acid. Ammonia & Chlorine can cause dangerous gas that can damage your eyes & lungs. Avoid!

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Ammonia + bleach create poisonous mustard gas like was used in WW1.

NEVER NOT EVER SOMETHING YOU WANT TO MIX TOGETHER.

Besides that it has no effect on the clog. Most times the build up is from soap that has not been flushed through the pipes with sufficient water.(so it is like clogged arteries)

Because it was soap, & toothpaste and I did not have a toilet plunger (which works in the sink provided you jamb closed the air hole high up on the bathroom sink. Anyways I did not have that and had the chrome plunger stopper. I disconnected it from the inside of the vanity and unscrewed the lever and pulled out the stopper. and then put the side screw back in as the thin lever was not going to get in the way of the next step.

I went into the kitchen and boiled a pot and tea kettle of boiling hot water and had a coffee while I waited. Once the water is boiling take the pot back to the bathroom and hold it high over the sink drain hole 2 feet or 3 feet up in the air. Maybe get a chair and stand on it ...and pour a thin stream that just fits into the 2 inch hole. Without it splashing into the sink. The water that goes down the drain hole "pounds against the soap build up and forces its way through...down the drain. I used 2 2 quart pots and a tea kettle full of boiling hot water.

. They say that water will split granite stone if it gets to pound on it long enough. Fortunately this is not that hard and the hot water melts the soap scum & toothpaste and hair and skin cells and all that goes down the drain.

After that, I ran the hot water tap for 5 minutes Pure hot water which is not boiling hot but there is a lot of it and it went down the drain. 20 years ago. Never had a problem since.

A plumber heard about my slow water drainage and said, run more water.

The rest is 2+2 Now it is more a habit to use more water to flush the pipes.

• 6 months ago

cyanide gas boss,, used in death chambers.

ya wanna do your last chicken,have at it

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Only if u wana die... wtf

• 6 months ago

This is not quite as bad as the guy who asked if he should pour gasoline down the drain and light it on fire, but it's close. No, this is a bad idea.

• Guber6 months agoReport

Thanks, dude!

• chris
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Mixing bleach and ammonia causes the release of toxic vapors called chloramines (these are a group of related compounds that are known to irritate the respiratory system). Exposure to these gases can trigger symptoms like watery eyes, nausea, coughing, shortness of breath, chest pain and irritation to the throat, nose, and eyes.

• 6 months ago

Don't mix ammonia and bleach because they could explode, splash hot liquid, or, more likely, make a toxic plume of gas.

• ...Show all comments
    • JoKyoNim
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

It can when used in a drain. The gas it gives off can/will get trapped in the pipe. Mainly like a p trap. That is where it can explode

• Robin
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

no sodium hydroxide is best

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

No, the fumes of them both can knock you out.

• 6 months ago

No, never mix bleach and ammonia.

Source(s): Common knowledge
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.