Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 5 months ago

I love writing but I don t want to show it to my family therefore, they won t take me seriously.?

So I have been writing for a solid few years now, but I never show my writing to my family. I have posted it on various websites, like Wattpad and they have had a good response, but I do not want to show my family my writing. The reason why I don t show them is because I do not want them to look at me differently after seeing what goes on in my head. I m the youngest in my family and looked at like the baby so if they ever saw my writing thats a little more "edgier to put it, I feel as if they would think differently of me. What should I do?

Don't do anything about it.

"WORK IN SILENCE AND MAKE YOUR SUCCESS MAKE THE NOISE."

• Marli

They may take you seriously when you are officially an adult, and have left your parents' control. When your family see you take care of yourself, that will surprise them. Then they will have a bit more respect for your talents, and self-care will help you feel self-confident.

Just a thought. When you said your writing was "a little more edgier", are you worried that your family will worry that you have "bad" thoughts and might "go to the devil" if they don't intervene? Of course your parents, as good and decent people who love you, will worry about what goes through your head. It's the process of growing up and making your own life that you will question values - even your family's values. Writing is a great outlet for expressing your thoughts and sorting through what you think. You will be questioning things and searching for answers for the rest of your life. Don't be afraid to question and search and write. Trust in God, if you believe in God, and be the decent person and unique soul you are. It may seem dishonest to keep certain thoughts and actions from your folks, but if they are not evil thoughts and actions, just things you need to think through by writing stories, then you won't cause harm delaying your reveal to them.

Why on earth do you have to show them at all? It's your personal thing to do, not everyone needs to know about it.

If you don't want to show your writing to your family, don't show it.

If you ever get published, THAT will be the day to beam round the dining table in the evening and say, "Guess what!!!"

If you don't feel comfortable showing them your texts, there's a reason for that. Maybe you think they will be judgemental, or mock the thing that you love the most. Writers are creative people, and creative people explore boundaries and break rules. But families (and 99% of people) are not creative, they want all the roles to be fixed and defined, and every day to be "business as usual". So they can feel your creativity as sort of a "threat", and try to minimize your talents just to hide their own mediocrity and selfishness.

I know this sucks and shouldn't be like this, if I had a kid I would love to see "what's his poison" and help him shine in whatever it is: if he's into skating, I would help him be the best skater he can be, if he likes writing, the same, etc... That's what makes sense to me, but sadly in this sad world not all parents think like this...

So I guess what I'm meaning is it's ok to have boundaries. You don't have to share everything with everyone. Be selective and protect your light. And look for people for whom, like you, writing is important.

Don't show them. If you won't want to share, then there's no reason why they should read it.

My family are staggeringly disinterested in my writing and don't take it seriously. I didn't share, except when I got traditionally published and gave my parents a signed copy of the book. To be honest, I'm not even sure they read it, at least they never mentioned it. When I had another piece read in the radio, the only one who bothered to listen was my aunt.

What I'm getting at is that if they aren't taking your writing seriously now, then there's no guarantee that they'll take your writing seriously even after you share, so if you don't feel like sharing, then I see no reason to do so.

• David

Don't worry about whether or not they take you seriously. Just keep doing what you do and have fun with it. There's no need to prove yourself to your family. If writing matters to you and it's something you see yourself doing professionally in the next several years then keep at it regardless of what your family might think.

• Whatever

BINGO. Even if the asker doesn't go into writing professionally there is still a need for people who can communicate well.

• Blearg

Writing is a hard thing to share, especially when it comes to people who aren't also interested in it.

I've read a lot of quotes and advice from successful authors. Many of them say the same thing, which is that they would be writing even if they never got acclaim or money for it. Some people are meant to tell stories. Maybe that's you! Unfortunately, society is not built to support people with skills like writing. Most of the people who succeed at being a professional writer do so because they are obsessed with it and either cannot or will not stop. For every one of those though, there are plenty of storytellers who don't find success. That doesn't mean that their efforts aren't meaningful or valuable! Making art and expressing oneself is one of the important things a person can learn to do, imho.

My advice is: write for the audience that "gets it" and enjoys your work, not for people who don't. Even if that "good audience" is sometimes only you.

Source(s): “I just knew there were stories I wanted to tell.” – Octavia E. Butler "Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don’t feel I should be doing something else.” – Gloria Steinem “A person is a fool to become a writer. His only compensation is absolute freedom. He has no master except his own soul, and that, I am sure, is why he does it.” – Roald Dahl “Any writer worth his salt writes to please himself…It’s a self-exploratory operation that is endless. An exorcism of not necessarily his demon, but of his divine discontent.” – Harper Lee https://www.aerogrammestudio.com/2014/03/27/why-i-... I also really recommend the podcast "Project:Shadow" by author C.E. Dorsett. There are a lot of discussions about writing, both technical aspects and more emotional and social aspects. It's been really great for me to listen to in pursuing my own creative work.
    • Blearg

Here's an episode that has a lot in common with your question:
      https://player.fm/series/project-shadow-1092517/be-creative-for-its-own-sake

Stop writing. What makes you think they won't see your posts?