Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 5 months ago

Is it ilegal to use my digital bumper sticker and digital message board (usually says Uber) to warn people of police presence?

I saw an officer hidden between old building and deserted car was n just barely noticed in time slow down so I use my digital message board I usually use for Uber sign and put up police ahead but last night I I did it and was pulled over and asked to take it off I asked if it's illegal and they would not answer just said take it off so Informed him he was being recorded (inside rearview mirror has camera built in) and the officers then asked for liscense registration my insurance card 15 minutes later said I'm free to leave. So is it legal for them to pull me over and ask me to take something off my vehicle like that? Is there ANY law that says I can't warn other drivers about police presence? Because to me it seems like they just pulled me over because they were offended and tried to MAKE me take it off until they thought they were being recorded.

• steve

It depends which state or country you live.

In UK it is illegal to warn other drivers of Speed Cameras or hidden Police cars as if you are concentrating on that you are not concentrating on the road.

My sister lives in France and has just bought a new car. It has a Sat Nav that warns of any speed Cameras. She was pulled over by an unmarked car as she was speeding but had slowed when approaching the Camera.

When the Police checked the settings on the Sat Nav and saw she had the warning switched on she got fined for speeding and also an extra fine for using the device as a warning of upcoming speed cameras.

Criminal. You'd be interfering with the job of the police.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • `

In my state, it's illegal to have any damage or distortions on the bumper that distracts the driver.

If your digital bumper sticker is legal, any message you put on it is protected under the first amendment except to attempt to misrepresent yourself (for example as law enforcement).

In my state, it is illegal to have a digital bumper sticker, regardless of how it is used.

• Joseph

Probably not but don't do it anyway, why bring that down upon your yourself?

• Ron

They can pull you over for any "reason". They can ask you to stop doing what you are doing. They should have given you a distracted driving ticket because you had to change the message board while driving

No. You can't flash or flick your high beams or lights to do so because of safety laws. But there is no law against informing others of police presence. The only time you can't is if they are preparing for raid or something. There is no law against letting people know where police are. You can't be charged with interference unless they are actually investigating something. They don't like it but that's the law.

• Squid

Depends on the state, actually.

We don't know your specific jurisdiction and what the laws are there.

But why would you want to warn people about this? As an Uber driver you should be advocating to get unsafe drivers off the road.

All you did was:

1. attempt to purposely take people's attention off the road

- the electronic billboards on ride share cars SHOULD BE ILLEGAL!

2. Continue to support unsafe driving habits. - drive in an unsafe manner, get caught... we will all be safer.

= either you will be off the road sooner or will learn from your mistakes.

Yes. Interfering with a policed officer while they are carrying out their duties is illegal.

• STEVEN F

Warning people IS NOT interfering with their duties any more that TRAFFIC REPORTS are interfering.