Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 5 months ago

Can landlord charge for this?

We have a dog and cat. We ended a two year lease last month. We cleaned the apartment before we moved out. Landlord charged us $150 for pet odor and cleaning the apartment for cat hair again. Is it legal? NY state.

25 Answers

Relevance
  • R P
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Absolutely legal. At $150 to get rid of animal odor, you got off cheap. Pay it and move on with your life.

Source(s): Fl landlord
  • 5 months ago

Of course. Only $150 is not much, consider yourself lucky.

• zipper
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

Your quite lucky that is all it is costing you, he sure does!

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Did you pay an additional deposit for pets? Did the cleaning costs exceed that deposit?

Yes you are required to pay the cleaning expenses and that can be taken from your deposit.

I had a landlord that once charged a "non-refundable deposit" for pets. Turns out in my state, deposits ARE refundable period. Because he used the word "deposit" in the lease, he could have deducted the cleaning expenses but then would be required to refund the balance. Because he didn't give me an itemized list of deductions within 30 days, the court ordered him to return my full deposit and the non-refundable pet deposit.

Had he followed the law, he would have only needed to return the unused portion of the deposits. But, I had not done any significant damage and left it quite clean.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Absolutely! Anytime a tenant moves out - the carpets MUST be cleaned. Plus, pet hair hides everywhere.

• 5 months ago

Yes, it's legal. I can tell when there's a cat in the house.

• 5 months ago

Check your tenancy. Consult a lawyer. If you don’t pay I couldn’t see him pursuing it

• 5 months ago

Yes. It is not uncommon either.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • 5 months ago

You're lucky it was only $150.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

yes...........................................

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.