Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 5 months ago

Can landlord charge for this?

We have a dog and cat. We ended a two year lease last month. We cleaned the apartment before we moved out. Landlord charged us $150 for pet odor and cleaning the apartment for cat hair again. Is it legal? NY state.

• R P

Absolutely legal. At $150 to get rid of animal odor, you got off cheap. Pay it and move on with your life.

Source(s): Fl landlord

Of course. Only $150 is not much, consider yourself lucky.

• zipper

Your quite lucky that is all it is costing you, he sure does!

Did you pay an additional deposit for pets? Did the cleaning costs exceed that deposit?

Yes you are required to pay the cleaning expenses and that can be taken from your deposit.

I had a landlord that once charged a "non-refundable deposit" for pets. Turns out in my state, deposits ARE refundable period. Because he used the word "deposit" in the lease, he could have deducted the cleaning expenses but then would be required to refund the balance. Because he didn't give me an itemized list of deductions within 30 days, the court ordered him to return my full deposit and the non-refundable pet deposit.

Had he followed the law, he would have only needed to return the unused portion of the deposits. But, I had not done any significant damage and left it quite clean.

Absolutely! Anytime a tenant moves out - the carpets MUST be cleaned. Plus, pet hair hides everywhere.

Yes, it's legal. I can tell when there's a cat in the house.

Check your tenancy. Consult a lawyer. If you don’t pay I couldn’t see him pursuing it

Yes. It is not uncommon either.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.

You're lucky it was only $150.

• Judy

yes...........................................