Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 5 months ago

If you could afford to do just one maintenance which would you do first?

ATF or Brakes?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

The first thing I service is Brakes and get the Fluid changed last accident my Fault 1962

• zipper
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

BRAKES FOR OVER ALL SAFETY WOULD BE MY FIRST MOVE!

• 5 months ago

ATF every 60,000 miles. You end up with a $2200 transmission rebuild if you don't service the tranny.

The brakes don't need maintenance. They need replacing when the brake pads get too thin,

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Jay P
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Brakes are more critical for keeping you safe and your vehicle in current condition.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Depends which is desperately more in need BUT - fixing the brakes definitely fixes the problem of poor braking which is a clear safety issue. If you catch it soon enough you can prevent damage to the brake discs [rotors]. Changing the ATF is not guaranteed to avoid problems or help with any current problem. I have had total brake failures in traffic twice in my life and it took deft reactions, precise maneuvering, not panicking, and a healthy amount of luck not to collide with anything both times it happened. .

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

I would get a job so I could do both, but BRAKES IS NUMBER 1

• 5 months ago

Brakes need love.

• Scott
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

Brakes first. Your life is more valuable.

• don r
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Brakes; The ATF still works, but if you can't stop the car, it just becomes a death trap. A better thing to ask is which problem is more serious and won't wait.

• 5 months ago

PARK the car until you can fix it. That said, if the transmission seizes, you can stop. If the brakes fail while moving a crash is nearly guaranteed.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.