Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 5 months ago

If you could afford to do just one maintenance which would you do first?

ATF or Brakes?

The first thing I service is Brakes and get the Fluid changed last accident my Fault 1962

• zipper

BRAKES FOR OVER ALL SAFETY WOULD BE MY FIRST MOVE!

ATF every 60,000 miles. You end up with a $2200 transmission rebuild if you don't service the tranny.

The brakes don't need maintenance. They need replacing when the brake pads get too thin,

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Jay P

Brakes are more critical for keeping you safe and your vehicle in current condition.

Depends which is desperately more in need BUT - fixing the brakes definitely fixes the problem of poor braking which is a clear safety issue. If you catch it soon enough you can prevent damage to the brake discs [rotors]. Changing the ATF is not guaranteed to avoid problems or help with any current problem. I have had total brake failures in traffic twice in my life and it took deft reactions, precise maneuvering, not panicking, and a healthy amount of luck not to collide with anything both times it happened. .

I would get a job so I could do both, but BRAKES IS NUMBER 1

Brakes need love.

• Scott

Brakes first. Your life is more valuable.

• don r

Brakes; The ATF still works, but if you can't stop the car, it just becomes a death trap. A better thing to ask is which problem is more serious and won't wait.

PARK the car until you can fix it. That said, if the transmission seizes, you can stop. If the brakes fail while moving a crash is nearly guaranteed.