How do I work out if wine is too old to drink without opening it?

I'm moving house soon and I found over a dozen bottles of wine (red and white) and i want to know whether it's worth transporting it or whether to throw it out.

Favorite Answer

Most wine stays drinkable for years, even decades, once it's bottled. So, depending on the wine, your wines should still be drinkable, if they have been stored properly.

Wines do go off, if they have been exposed to air (and hence bacteria) too much, but most need a little bit of exposure before drinking them.

You can't. The only way to know if wine is OK is to taste it.

Going to have to taste it. Make sangria. Or cook with it.

• CB

Open one bottle and see if it is still tasting good - not rocket surgery.

• Funnelweb

Rocket surgery???!!!

Unless it turns to vinegar, wine doesn't go bad, and even when it does turn to vinegar - wine vinegar is great for salad dressings. Don't throw it out. If you don't want it, give it to an adult friend. I would gladly solve your moving issue for you if I was there.

• There is no way to know without opening, smelling and tasting. No matter what, it isn't going to hurt you.

On second thought - if these are high end wines properly stored, then it's a good bet that they are still quite drinkable. List a few bottles and maybe you'll get more info!

Don't throw it out drink it geeze