Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (American) · 5 months ago

Can a Brit ever make it in the NFL?

I'm 15 in September and I'm good at Rugby. I'm 6ft2 and 15 stone/210 pounds

I've never played American Football because Idk where they play it here.

I live in Kent, UK

There have been a handful of British people in the NFL but they've mostly been people who moved to the US when young or they crossed over from professional rugby.

The NFL has set up an American football academy with Barnet & Southgate College in North London which provides a programme designed to help 16-18 year old lads get NCAA Division I university scholarships in the US if they're good enough, which is where the vast majority of NFL players come from, especially the FBS unis like Ohio State, USC, Stanford, Boston College, etc. If you're good enough in university, then you could get invited to an NFL scouting combine, where if you impress the scouts you'll have a good chance of being drafted. There's more information in the link below.

You're not old enough yet, so I'd say you should continue playing rugby and look into playing amateur American football with the Kent Exiles who have a U16 team to build up your skills and knowledge of the game and find out which position you're best able to play.

Just keep in mind that your chances of making it in the NFL are slim. They're slim even for American lads who have been playing it since when they were young, but there's no harm in trying.

Samoans began to make their mark in the NFL in the 1970s with players such as

The US is British. The Queen will never forgive 1776.

• Mike W

It's possible. There's a Norwegian and a Dane who had long NFL careers, and both are in the Hall of Fame.

• Betty

They already have...

• Cu Tie

Yes, it is possible for a British person to make it to the NFL. However, I recommend moving to the United States as soon as possible. Here, in the United States, your chances of playing college football will depend on your performance in football during your senior year of high school. If you perform very well in football during your senior year of high school, you will greatly improve your chances of getting recruited to play for a college football program.

In turn, your chances of playing in the NFL depend on your performance in football during your college football career. If you perform very well in football during your college years, you will greatly improve your chances of getting drafted to play for an NFL team in the future.

By the way, based on your height and weight, I believe that the best fit for you is at strong safety. Considering your age, your size gives you the potential to become an elite high school strong safety.

• David

Several have played in the NFL, 30 in fact.

It's possible, but not easy

• You've already had two NRL players from Australia make the NFL, most notably Jarryd Hayne who played half a season with San Francisco.

• More than two Aussies played in the NFL, at least a dozen punters. If Hayne had grown up playing football without a doubt he would have had a good NFL career.

just try it and see and then you'll know