Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited KingdomLondon · 6 months ago

Nearest sandy beach to London?

I live in East London and wondered whether anyone could tell me where the nearest sandy beach is. My son and I are getting a little fed up with the stones/pebbles at Brighton and Hove.

Thank you

• Biff
    Favorite Answer

Southend-on-Sea has sandy beaches and is probably nearest. The downside is it's a long walk across across mud if you want to paddle in the murky waters of the Thames Estuary when the tide is out. Margate in Kent also has sandy, and probably cleaner, beaches if you don't mind going a bit further. There is a direct train from Stratford International unless you want to go by car.

• Biff

From what I remember of Southend the sand looks a bit dirty as if the tide doesn't usually come fully in to wash it, hence my reference to cleaner beaches at Margate.

Try Camber Sands, which is to the east of Brighton.

It is between Hastings and Folkstone. The nearest small town is 'Rye'.

• F

Southend has a narrow strip of sand which gives way to unpleasant mud, as do most places around the Thames estuary.The Essex coast past Southend is mostly marshes, you probably have to go as far as Clacton (80 miles) for decent beaches. The North Kent coast is mostly pebbly beaches until you get to Margate (70 miles) and the East Kent coast. The South Coast is also pebbly around Brighton and not many decent sandy beaches until you get to Bournmouth (100 miles).

• RR

Land-Shark is right. Bournemouth has miles of award winning sandy beaches. They shelve gently into the sea.

Jump on the train to Bournemouth, it takes just over 2 hours and there are plenty of trains.

• PAMELA

A liitle way from london, about 60 miles is camber sands,it has lovely sandy beaches.

Camber Sands in East Sussex is sandy

Southend on Sea, Essex or Margate, Kent.

Tybee Island, Ga.