Why won't my Fios router work with a coax cable?

I'm trying to put my router in my office (which is in the attic - router is on the first floor) so I could stop using wifi. I ran a coax cable from the outside splitter into my office when I had Xfinity but it won't work for the Fios router. It's currently plugged in downstairs with an ethernet cable.

• VP

The Short Answer: Your fiber optic modem isn't using the coax cable. As Master of Puppets said, the fiber optic modem usually converts the fiber optic cabling to Ethernet cabling which is then connected to your Wi-Fi-enabled router.

A different solution might be to figure out a way to run (at least) 1 Ethernet cable from the router's 1st fl. location to a spot in your attic. [Ethernet lines can be 328 ft. max] If you can do that you can connect a small, say, 5-port switch to that cable and now your attic has 4 Ethernet ports to use.

• Dick

Look on Amazon.com for a "Range Extender". It picks up the weak signal in your attic and rebroadcasts it at a higher lever. It should take care of your problems.

I'm pretty sure that Fios uses fiber optic technology. It typically is run to your home, and from the demarc point, they run Ethernet to your router. As a result, they're not intercompatible.