What should she do? My friend paid the landlords property tax.?

I have a question. So, my friend moved out here two years ago and she renting a 3 bedroom house in east Stroudsburg, PA. The landlord has been delinquent with the property taxes. She said this wasn’t the first time this happened. Even got a letter in her mailbox of someone offering to buy the house. So, this time around, she freaked out and paid the property tax. Yeah, 😱she has four kids and got worried the landlord was going to lose the house and she would have to move. My question is what should she do? Does she have to continue paying rent? I thought no but I’m not familiar with real estate in these matters. Anyone know what she can do because I don’t know what to tell her.

• zipper

She made a huge mistake by paying the tax on the property. Huge mistake. She does not own the house so she should not be paying the property tax on it. That should be covered by the rent she is paying. She has a died beat Landlord, her start move would be to start looking for a new place to live.

• GEEGEE

She should contact the landlord and advise them she paid the taxes. Ask if she can not pay rent or pay reduced rent, until the property tax amount is recovered. If the LL is late to pay taxes more than one time, it's likely they have financial issues, and need the rental income every month to stay afloat. Good luck to your friend.

You still have to pay the rent, one has nothing whatsoever to do with the other. You can talk to landlord & explain what you did & hope he/she will pay you back, or perhaps take it from the rent.

Yes, she has to continue paying rent - she would need agreement from her landlord in writing in order to be able to take the cost of property taxes out of her rent

She absolutely shouldn't be paying any property taxes

If the property is sold, her lease transfers to the new owner - if she needs to move, she'll be given notice as per her lease

Nice of her to do that. Mine come due in December, can she pay mine? No, she still has to pay her rent.

She has ALREADY done it. She paid the taxes so she isn't going to be evicted for a tax foreclosure. She does not need to do anything more, except let the landlord know that she generously paid the property taxes for him. Of course she has to continue to pay the rent. One has NOTHING to do with the other. What her four kids got to do with it?

Source(s): Certified Paralegal with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • Lolly

Nothing. That was her (stupid) choice. Nothing she can do about it now.

• DEBS

Your friend needs to mind her own business and stop opening mail not addressed to her. That is illegal. She paid someone else's debt. The landlord didn't ask or tell her to. She needs to deal with that with 100% separate from paying paying rent. They aren't related at all. She panicked plain and simple. Even if the landlord didn't pay his taxes, it would have taken a long time for him to have the house taken from him and likely longer for her to be out.

I get offers for people to buy my house all the time, and I'm current on my bills.

• Lv 7

Excellent point. Who does she think she is, opening someone else's mail? If I was the landlord, all things considered, I might credit her with the tax payment...and start looking for a tenant who would mind her own business. what other mail has she opened?

• paul

get a lawyer NOW

• nt

Yes, throw good money after bad.

Well that's very generous of her but she still has to pay her rent.