will my pc components be cooler if I ran them outside a pc case?

my understanding of the purpose of the computer case is to protect components such as the motherboard from damage. I can run computer components outside the case but I risk having something spilled on it or possible dropping something on it. It is my goal to mount everything into a plastic travel case so my desktop computer which is designed for gaming is more portable. I am curious since the components would have direct access to air if this will keep the parts cooler.

Favorite Answer

A good designed case will more efficiently remove heat from the components rather that being in open air alone.

It wouldn't be enough to make a difference. I wouldn't recommend it due to ESD

• It could cause dust buildup

Sure, if you run a box fan over the parts which defeats the purpose of an open bench.

I am operating one of my systems on the kitchen table because I swap the CPU and even the board out every couple of weeks. This is also where I test and troubleshoot parts that aren't quite working correctly.

The GPU does fine but it's the parts on the motherboard like the RAM and VRM's that will suffer on an open bench. The CPU will be an indirect victim of the hotter RAM and VRM's.

The 'but' is, if you plan to buy or build a system that uses parts that don't run very hot to begin with, then the impact will be minimal. If you plan to pair a Ryzen 5 3600 with a GTX 1660ti then the temp difference won't be absurd or anything. Just get a decent case, with 2x or intake fans, and 2x exhaust fans. If you're going to run a Ryzen 9 with an RTX 2080 then it's really time to look at optimizing airflow. I've had the most success with a Positive Pressure 4x fan intake with a 3x fan exhaust setup but I use larger cases. I vacuum the floor as much as possible which cuts down on the dust that can get into the case.

It has been tried, it does not work.

The Case is designed to guide the air flow from the Fan(s) to keep it cool.

However, Setting the room temperature to below 68 degrees does help.

Not stuffing the Case with restrictive ribbons too.

There is something called a heat sink inside the computer that dissipates the heat. without it, you run the risk of the components overheating and you would probably be exposing them to more dust which will only compound the problem.

No, the fans/cooling system that is built into the case is built in a manner for very efficient cooling. Taking it outside the case, you would lose the circulating air/

Unlikely

The fans in the case keep the hardware cooler.