Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 5 months ago

do all fat people end up with diabetes?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

No. Being overweight is one of many risk factors that can lead to type 2. Genetics being a huge one (the insulin you make is of poor quality) and sedentary lifestyle, steroid medications, cancer treatments and being overweight make it difficult for the body to accept the insulin made. Most it’s a mix of genetics and environmental factors.

• 5 months ago

Diabetes is a condition that causes a person to have an excessive level of blood sugar. The disease upsets the normal process of transferring sugar from the bloodstream into cells that need it for energy. A key factor in the disease has to do with the body’s production of insulin, a hormone made by the pancreas. Insulin enables the body to pick sugar out of the bloodstream and to get it inside the cells where it is used for energy or is stored.

However, if the body does not produce enough insulin, little of the sugar will get to the cells to produce energy or be stored. Instead, sugar builds to high levels in the blood and begins to cause problems. Simply put, that is diabetes.

• 5 months ago

No. However, obesity can lead to other severe health problems.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

No, but it certainly puts them at a higher risk for a lot of things, including Type 2 diabetes, which up to a certain point is completely reversible, if dietary habits, weight, and lifestyles are changed.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Shay
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

No. Or my 68 year old sister would certainly have it by now. She has been very overweight for her whole life. She is just now at her smallest weight in years and is still 250 lbs. (she was at 400 lbs for several years during her late 40's and early 50's) She is not diabetic.

• 5 months ago

No they don't, I am type 2 diabetic and wasn't fat and if you watch those US TV programs about 600lbs people, very few of them have diabetes

• Amaretta
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

That's because most of them are still young. If they were older than 50, they'd probably be diabetic.

• kelvin
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

that would be a huge no

• 5 months ago

Do I know a friend of mine who didn’t end up with diabetes

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

No I'm fat and not even pre diabetic. Diabetes have everything to do with your life style, eating habits, and genetics.

• mokrie
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

No they don't all get diabetes, just as not all smokers get cancer.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.