is being gay a choice?

so take this argument for example:

being gay is not a choice. if i as a heterosexual man choose to have sex with a man or 100 other men that does not make me gay. what makes me gay is if i'm attracted to other men.

the response might be:

if you choose to have sex with one man then you are gay.

the rebuttal to that is:

well what happens if a gay man chooses to have sex with a woman or many women. does that make him straight?

further:

if you say it does make him straight - what happens if you never have had sex? then are you asexual and not hetero or ****.

so therefore my conclusion is that being gay is not a choice. you can choose whoever and whatever actions, but the orientation predisposition preference is innate and not of your own call but how nature it. nature doesn't have to create us any set way. and ideal to one person may not be ideal to another.

32 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Only for straight women

• 5 months ago

Of course its a choice, everything is a choice

• K5 months agoReport

i disagree, i choose not to be attracted to men so therefore i am not

• 5 months ago

only if you are Bi-Sexual, and even then not really.

• Lita
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

No. It's not a choice. It's never a choice. The only choice you have when it comes to sexual attraction is whether or not you are going to act upon that attraction. Being a man who has sex with men doesn't make you gay. Being a man who is sexually attracted to men makes you gay.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Being gay IS a choice at the end of the day because unless you claim rape- you voluntarily choose whom you have sex with. Now, the thing is that homosexuality can exist for reasons apart from ingrained preference (known as "situational homosexuality"- the type of thing seen in male prisons for instance.) but that doesn't make it any less "homosexual" in nature by definition. A homosexual is defined as a person whom is sexually attracted to members of the same sex, and if you have sex with someone voluntarily, It follows that one would say you were sexually attracted to them. Therefore, your argument is based on moral relativism, which fails under the weight of it's own ponderosity. Whats more, if there were some sort of "gay gene" we would actively breed it out of society because homosexuality has negative traits to society overall.

• Sky
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

By your logic, being straight is a choice and nobody is heterosexual until they choose to have sex with someone of the opposite sex. You are so full of sh!t. Sexual orientation is in the brain and is never a choice, and is not dependent on chosen actions like sexual activity.

• 5 months ago

A better question is: who cares?

• Sky
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

No. Sexual orientation is hard wired into the brain and is never a choice whether gay, straight, bisexual, or any other orientation. Various factors in life can influence how and when those feelings of attraction for [anybody other than the opposite sex], how those feelings are accepted by the individual, how they're expressed and acted on, how and when the individual "comes out" as being non-heterosexual, and so on. Actions are a choice; a gay person may choose to stay in the closet and pretend to be straight because he/she lives in a very strict and oppressive family and/or society, because that's the safest choice over coming out and facing any level of rejection or attack. For the same reasons, a gay person may choose to not pursue a mate of the same sex, and may even take a mate of the opposite sex, in order to maintain an illusion of being heterosexual and avoid persecution. We've seen that all throughout history where people who have been married to the opposite sex for years and even have kids end up divorcing the spouse and getting romantically involved with someone of the same sex because they could no longer keep up the charade that was making them miserable. In every case, their feelings and attractions for the same sex were never a choice, and instead were a perfectly natural factor of the sexual orientation their brain developed with before birth.

• Sky
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Considering nearly all gay people were born from two heterosexual parents, clearly it is not something that can be "bred out" of people. It is naturally occurring. But then, you don't possess the knowledge and capacity of logic to make that sort of connection, do you?

• 5 months ago

Yes......................

• Sara
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Is being straight a choice? When did you decide?

• 5 months ago

Despite a fortune being spent on searching there is no gay gene or anything to suggest being gay is physiological.

Cultural/environmental factors determine

• Sasha Whitefur
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Being LGBT is a congenital condition. (developed before birth) Science is finding more evidence for it, every day.

• 5 months ago

yes, it is a choice.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.