Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceSociology · 5 months ago

If you texted someone a “happy birthday” message & they didn’t text back to say thanks are they rude at all?

Surely a thanks is polite?

Or in 2019 is this not done?

It is rude in my opinion. I sent a birthday gift with a card & a $20.00 bill in the card to a so called friend on May 20th, almost two months ago. She has never bothered to even say thank you. I texted her last week & said I was depressed about something & have yet to receive any text back. Now when she text me half the time I wait a while before texting her back. When she has been depressed I respond back, I won't anymore. She's lost a friend & she doesn't even know it. I now just consider her an acquaintance. I don't expect anything from her now; she's lost other friends & now I can see why she has. You have to be a friend to have friends.

I've found that people often won't respond until the next day as sometimes birthdays are pretty busy for them. If they have a lot of friends they probably got quite a few texts on that day.

Something wrong with the person to not say thank you back .. I always say happy birthday to people on Facebook I dont check if I get a thank you only because facebook is not really personal

• GEEGEE

An acknowledgement would be nice in an ideal world, but it's not especially rude

• anonymous5 months agoReport

It is very, very rude. It sure doesn't take long to text back thank you.

I think it's rude to text a happy birthday message in the first place. Wouldn't you much rather have a nice card through the post? I know I would.

• bluebellbkk

Your friend should certainly have thanked you. All I'm saying is, 1, a text isn't much of a greeting, and 2, when a friend doesn't thank you for a gift, it won't feel quite so painful if you didn't spend a lot of money and effort on it.

I think so especially if they are always hitting you up when they need something.

i think thats rude too

There is no obligation for anyone to respond to a text message and other people are not responsible for any expectation you place on them.

• anonymous5 months agoReport

There's no obligation, but someone who is polite would send a thank you back in a text. Takes very little time to do.

Yes, if they never respond I think that is rude.

Needy person much??