Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 5 months ago

I hate myself and I need a hug. What should I do?

I used to think that I was a person built like anyone else, with the potential of anyone else. This year and a half has kind of broken that for me. First, I found out that I had a birth defect and would never have children. Then, I got diagnosed with autism. Just recently, I ruined my first serious relationship (which admittedly wasn’t great) because apparently some events from my past affected me more than I thought, and I’m apparently a psychological mess when it comes to heterosexual sex. It feels like I’m a walking mound of defects. Like God never wants my genes to see the light of day, or he wouldn’t have spayed me, miswired my brain, and let nonsense happen to me until I became unable to maintain heterosexual relationships (at least, until I get months of therapy). I don’t usually let it get to me, but I hate thinking about myself now. I feel like I have less inherent worth than other people. I know that others have it worse. Maybe I’m just down on myself because of my recent breakup. I miss physical affection. I don’t know what I should do, if anything. What was God thinking when he made me?

• Andrea
    Favorite Answer

First, you are not alone. There are people with similar issues, and there are people with different issues, but they are also hurting and need a hug, at the very least. I also want you to know that nothing you wrote about is insurmountable. Look at things as a detour or an obstacle, but not a dead end. I wish I could have talked to my teen self and told her these things. I had a difficult childhood and really couldn't see a time when things would be different, but things did change after I left home. I still had things to deal with, but I suddenly saw that life gave me choices. For example, you may not be able to have children, but you still have choices: adopt, foster, be someone's favorite aunt or uncle (sorry, I'm not sure if you're male or female), or choose not to have children and enjoy life without all of those responsibilities. Travel, further your education, have several hobbies, start a business, and so on. There's so much you can do with extra time and money, if you're childless. haha At any rate, I encourage you to close your eyes, take a deep breath, and talk to yourself more kindly and love yourself as you were made. The answers to all of it and your choices are broader than you might think. God bless!

• steve

I was recently out in town and a young lady came up to me and said she had just had some bad news and needed someone to hug.

She was almost in tears but needed someone to just cling to for a minute or two.

I hugged her close then kissed her on the cheek and wished her luck. I never got her name or what her problem was and she said thankyou I needed that hug.

If you need a hug you just have to ask even a stranger, there are loads of people out there who will give you a hug.

This is how Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel would have answered your question, for what’s worth (btw, you could always adopt a kid) :

“God only knows

God makes his plan

The information's unavailable

To the mortal man

We work our jobs

Collect our pay

Believe we're gliding down the highway

When in fact we're slip slidin' away

Slip slidin' away

Slip slidin' away

You know the nearer your destination

The more you're slip slidin' away”

Depend on yourself and hug you.

• Truth

get a cat or a dog from the pound

• well brother, you know its not just you many people have been through this situation, even they have every thing normal but they have the same feeling what you are describing, its all about our own mindset, if we want to see every thing positive every thing will be positive and in the meantime this world is full of problems and will never finish for any budy living on this earth, one after another, so just be calm and accept yourself as you are, be confident and be happy with that, God blessed you with the internal motivation which are not searching inside you thats the only problem, i will pray for you and will pray for you by heart, we all Love youuuuuuuuuuu, we love u brooo :)

I don't like myself at all and consider myself a disaster.

Thank goodness for our four-legged furry friends- hugging them is fun and much better than dealing with people.

Read the Holy Bible. Your greatest friend is the Lord Jesus Christ. Do not depend upon mankind for help; depend upon the Lord for help.

Go and hug a tree

If you're really desperate ask a member of your family they might resort to that.

Alright, so you can't have children. A lot of people would see that as an opportunity. Go volunteer at an senior residence. You will get hugs.