Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceOther - Education · 5 months ago

Warning signs of getting fired?

I have been on this job for about a year and I am not sure how I am doing. It is sort of an entry level position. Something where the company can make it without someone doing a great job but I don't know

Something where the company can make it without someone doing a great job? That sounds like gubbermint work, right there. The gubbermint never go outta bidness no matter what happens.

You boss wanting to talk.........

• Andrea

Here's how you stand out and increase your odds of job retention (even if you're a below-average worker): ask your boss for a few minutes of his or her time. When you're face to face, let him know that you appreciate his time and say that you are looking for honest feedback regarding your work at the company and (before he can start telling you) make sure to let him know that you find your job challenging and you're learning many useful skills, and you find your co-workers to be very supportive and easy to work with (you can fudge all of this - you get the idea: keep it positive), and you'd like to know how you can improve yourself and your work. He will see that you are open to self-improvement and that you are gracious and grateful for him, your co-workers, and your job. Good luck!

p.s. I stuck to the male pronouns for your boss; it was just easier that way.

Ask your supervisor if it isn't time you had a performance review. Most organisations do these at least once a year.

What about them? Sometimes they are obvious, sometimes not. Stop being a worry wart, cuz there is nothing you can do about it except keep doing your best work and show up everyday.

Have you gotten a raise or a performance review and/or a promotion?

I got promoted so I knew I must have been doing a good job. Then I got a raise so I figured I was doing something right. Then another promotion and another raise. And from there regular raises & performance reviews so I knew exactly where I stood in all areas. I was very strong in many areas and below average in 1-2 areas. And I improved on the areas where I was below average so I was at least average on them.

• ioerr

you should get over the need to be told how well you're doing. do the job you're told to do, as best you know how to, and always be ready to get up, walk out, and never come back, on a moment's notice.

because, really, your job can go up in smoke at any moment, whether because of some fault of yours, or because of circumstances that have nothing to do with you at all.

worrying too much about it beforehand will just make you miserable and neurotic, waiting for the axe to fall.

Performance improvement plans and bad annual reviews are some signs you may be getting let go.

So long as you come to work and follow company policies, firings at most companies are actually pretty rare. HR would much prefer to find ways to work around it than have to fire an employee.