Would you stop talking to a friend if they couldn't hardly hang out anymore due to a serious illness and poverty?

So this happened to me several years ago. I became very ill and was chronically ill for years. The once outgoing person that I was ended when I became ill with a chronic debilitating disease that wasn't visible to people's sight, but it made it very hard for me living day to day. I could barely work, which left me too poor to hang out and do things with my friends. They would call and see if I could go to their parties and to hang out and I either simply couldn't afford to do anything or I just didn't feel well enough. Most of my friends just dropped off the face of the earth, and others even dropped me as their fb friend. And this didn't just happen to me with friends, this happened with my family as well. Even though I would tell them how sorry I was and I explained to them how difficult my illness was making me, most of them still dropped off the face of the earth!

Is this really how most people are? Selfish and uncaring? And btw, this happened with almost everyone I knew (I have a big family, used to have dozens of friends of varying ages of people in their 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's.

Red pill:

Yes. People are like this. I know from experience. You want to test friends and families loyalty? Look at the way they treat you when you are unwell. The same thing has happened to me when I was sick. People just dropped off of the face of the earth and stopped talking to me.

In fact I’m very sick right now and only one person texted me to see if I’m alright. So you know what? I will care a lot more about that person when unfortunate things happen in his life.

The biggest truth I had to face is that people don’t care about you. It’s the harsh truth I had to learn over my life. VERY VERY few people truly care about you. Keep the ones who care about you and get rid of the ones who don’t. They left you? Good. Let them continue their lives without you having to be in theirs.

Let it inspire you to make yourself better as a person. Almost laugh at them for dropping you. It’s their loss, not yours.

• justjeans7775 months agoReport

I sure hope you feel better soon. Its hard enough being not well, but then alone makes it so much harder. Been there, done that! But stay positive!

Not unless they became toxic to my own mental health. I’ve put in the hard yards a few times with various people over the years.

Just move away to the wilderness and find a nice rock to live under

• P.L.

You are very unfortunate to have such uncaring 'friends' and family. This is not how it should be especially with family. Perhaps you could find some internet friends to have conversations with initially and those people might know others who live closer to you than they are. It's worth giving it a try. In the past people had pen pals and wrote to each other once a week or couple of weeks. Once we all had home phones conversations took place that way and, sometimes, these people got to meet each other but not always. We all need to be able to communicate with others in some way or another. If people near you are not interested enough to keep in touch just let them go and find others. Texting and phoning is so much easier and nicer than laborious letter writing (although I still love receiving letters) and it's cheaper, no paper, envelopes and stamps to buy and sometimes we receive instant replies.

You are limited in what you can do and where you can go at the moment and I hope that changes for you soon but, in the meantime, try different methods of communication. We have far more ways at our disposal that used to be the case.

Who really needs friends??? I never have!

most likely no i would def behelping hem out

Unfortunately yes. Most people, at least from my experiences, seem selfish and uncaring. However true friends are out there but they are hard to find. I only have 1 friend left from high school that is a true friend. All my other "friends" cut me off or moved on.

Those were not friends plain and simple. A true friend does not abandon a friend that’s going through a difficult time or in need. People these days wear masks or are fake. To have a true friend is extremely rare these days. To have two is even rarer. The test of true friendship is adversity. And you can bet during difficult times people will show their true colors and the masks will come off. And if you do ever have someone stand by you during adverse times is a blessing and you should guard that friendship well.

It's my experience that people disappear fast when cancer or other personal tragedy happens. My personal theory is that such people are afraid of being asked for something they cannot, or will not give, reasonable or unreasonable as it seems.

Plenty of better potential friends out there.