Why did we get rid of milk men?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

I still have a milk man.

• Roddy
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

House to house deliveries, having to visit every road even just for one pint of milk, became totally uneconomic. Supermarkets and convenience stores sell the majority of milk that we buy, thus making milkmen even more costly.

Most people have a car nowadays and also a fridge. So they buy several days worth of milk in one go rather than needing a daily delivery.

Finally, supermarkets cut prices, so people tend to go there.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Because they were making too many babies. Every time, it turned out, it was the milk man. It is practically a popular saw.

• k w
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

supermarkets and women having to hold a job did them in, not many wives were home

to bring it inside and to the refrigerator.....who wants hot spoiled milk after it's been outside all day long, the boxes weren't all that, maybe kept cool for a cpl hours, not all day long

• k w
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

they're working too !

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Industries. Industries are the answer to wealth and yet destruction, climate change, extinction, pollution, etc.

• 5 months ago

I think because everybody now has cars. When I was a kid lots of folks didn't have a car. We also had a bread man.

• Lili
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

We had a milkman, a bread man, and an egg woman for a while, though we did have a car. Our area when we moved there was semi-rural and still undergoing development, so I expect that's why. People hadn't yet gotten used to using the local and rather new supermarket.

• 5 months ago

I suppose at the time, dairies figured that they could not afford to pay somebody to deliver milk door to door. Funny thing is that more and more grocery stores and restaurants are offering home delivery. Strange

Alternate answer: Too many paternity suits ;)

• Roddy
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Home delivery is getting common, but not for one item at a time. It is also charged for, whereas mild delivery was not separately charged for.

• 5 months ago

Because we got rid of milk deliveries.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Because it's no longer economically feasible and more people have cars to drive to a grocery store. Back then when they first started not everyone had cars.

Lv 7
    5 months ago

The stores started selling it

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.