Can we do science without animal testing?

Animal testing has provided us with many medicines and treatments for humans and other animals, and it still is doing that. It has proven its value quite well. Only mindless fanatics who are brainwashed by PeTA complain about it. PeTA should be exterminated for the harm it causes.

• F

Sure, I grew a copper sulphate crystal once, no animals involved at all.

• MARK

It all depends on what science you are doing. I do not think CERN have ever flung animals around the Large Hadron Collider.

You really cannot expect more from such a vague question.

Science is based on experiments and observations. If a scientist cannot perform experiments, then it makes it much harder to learn about animals and nature. For example, scientists use mice to determine how toxic a substance is. They give the toxin to mice, and figure out how much of it will kill half of the mice that are given that dosage. Without such testing, it would be very difficult to figure out how toxic something may be.

Even astrophysicists need to perform experiments with animals. We did not put humans inside a spaceship and send it into space until after we have tried it using animals to know that it is safe to be up in space.

Sure! Not a single animal has been harmed in our research into astrophysics, for instance.

Now, if you want to do any sort of biology at all, then obviously of course not.

• Smeghead

Oh, give me a break. Of course I was overgeneralizing for effect. But if you want to accomplish anything useful in biology, model organisms are going to come into it at some point.

• Rick B

Already asked and answered in your other posting.

we can try to do that

We must find a way

Computer simulations and petri dishes can only go so far before live tissue has to be involved. I suppose if you can't use animals, the next best thing is poor people.

• Will

Yes. We should just test on humans instead. Pick out life sentence-serving or 50+ years prison sentence prisoners and use them as lab rats.

• Will

My attitude has nothing to do with Trump. I begrudgingly voted for him because my preferred candidate clearly had no chance. He was just better than the other two mainstream candidates. My attitude here is due to my pure hatred for homo sapiens. I won't act out a massacre, but I gladly welcome them.