I need fantasy surnames!?

I'm writing a fantasy YA novel, and coming up with first names, and place names is no challenge for me, but fantasy surnames are killing me. For reference, the first names I need surnames for are Elysia, Portia, and Syrana.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Frost. Star. Snow.

• 5 months ago

ELYSIA OOKLAY

PORTIA BELLBURN

SYRANA COVENSHIRE

• denise
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Amazonia, Benobo, Chrysling, Draconia, Ethereal, Farthingale, Gorgonis, Hydronne, Idriss, Jacaranda, Knotweed, Lycanne, Monstero, Nemesis, Owling, Prowling, Quelch, Raille, Stark, Tremble, Umble, Veinne, Wolfram, Xavier, Yoke, Zetterling.

• Marli
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Take a real life surname - from any nation - and scramble the letters.

Surnames came about when first names alone could not identify the person when pointed out to another person.

John"s son became Johnson. The village miller became John, the Miller and then John Miller. The person hailing from the capital city became John London, Jean de Paris, or even John Kingston (John from the King's Town). John Brown may have been Johan Brune before he came to America, or he may have have been Brown John to distinguish him from Blond John.

So, what are the words for colours, towns (or physical features of the landscape where he lives Brook, River, Lake, Hill), kinship, physical features, or jobs and professions in your fantasy world?

As Tina said, do you need surnames? Few - if any - fairies, ogres, princesses, etc in fairy stories (which are fantasies and myths) needed last names.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

I always dislike names that I have to struggle through. That are hard to remember as well. So ...... Symphony. Perish. Tristan

• bubba
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

Smith , Jones , and Brown are great surnames and very original

• Andrew
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Elysia Enfields

Portia Nineeleven

Syrana de Bergerac

• 5 months ago

Just pick some out of a phone book, or (always my favourite go-to) the closing titles of any movie or TV programme.

• 5 months ago

Just use some mythical deity or ancient Greek god name or something. Since I don't know what your characters are, or what might have some relation to the character, then maybe you can find one that has something related to the character, that sounds good with the first name.

Here's a link to a bunch of Greek ones:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Greek_mythol...

Here's a link to a bunch of other cultural goddess names:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_goddesses

• 5 months ago

Ishmae ...Aiken....Lofton...Speers.....Aspbury;;;and SMITH AND jONES

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.