Why do businesses always have to open at the least possible second?

It's only 20 seconds till opening time and employees are still locking the door behind them when they enter. I've never known a business to open even 2 minutes early. What's the big deal?

Favorite Answer

Usually, they use that time to get ready, open their cash drawers, sign onto their computers, etc. I don't mind waiting for regular business hours, but what really drives me crazy - is when they don't open on time.

I don’t know kid kid kid kid kid kid

There are other people in the building and they aren't quite ready yet. Or, they aren't being compensated based on profit...so they don't care about the extra sale.

My employees do the same thing, or wait in their car until 2 minutes before they need to be at their desks. I show up and just come in, but I also stay after the business closes too...

• Blahblahblah6 months agoReport

I would do the same thing. When I got to work, even if it was before my shift, I'd still go inside and at least just talk to people. When I was a bartender, if I was ready to open, even if it was 15 min early, I'd still open. I wouldn't just sit by the door waiting until that last possible second.

The owner doesn't pay the staff until opening time, so the staff don't work before they're getting paid.

• Blahblahblah6 months agoReport

That's illegal. They need to pay them as soon as they start working which is typically before they open

• In

On your job do you take customers or answer the phone before or after normal working hours? How is a store any different? The hours are posted on the door and if they are inconvenient for you then go somewhere else.

• Paul6 months agoReport

If you were all standing around talking you weren't doing work that needed to be done. If you have time to lean you have time to clean.

You've obviously never owned a business.

Everyone needs to be ready at open time. You might be ready, but everyone else might not be. Depending on the particular business, it could royally screw things up if you start letting people in the door before everyone is ready and in place.

• Erik

Hmmm, I'm never at a business when they first open. Unless you count the bank that's a few blocks from me. It's weird, they ALWAYS open the door to the street first, THEN the one in the back, where the parking lot is. So I go to the front, and I'm first in line, then 4-5 people walk in from the other door.

The employees need to clock in, turn the lights on, etc etc

• Blahblahblah6 months agoReport

Lol. Because he can see the employees yapping right in front of the door looking at their watches waiting until that last possible second

• Judy

Why should they?

• Blahblahblah6 months agoReport

I don't know. I used to. Then again I guess we cared about our customers more back then

The staff aren't paid for the extra 2 minutes or 20 seconds so why should they open up early?

• Blahblahblah6 months agoReport

If they're at the workplace getting ready to open, they're already getting paid