Readers! Do you prefer to watch the actual movie better than reading the actual book of something?

For some reason, I struggle with completing a book that is made into a movie. Although, I always hear how the book does justice better than some movies. Do you feel like that sometimes or you like to read the book and watch movie

It depends, but most of the time books tend to have more details then the actual movie.

• Athena

Movies & Books are two complete different mediums. You cannot expect the story to be told in the same way.

What does actual movie or actual book mean? It's either the movie or the book. I prefer to read the book before I see the movie.

Movies only show a portion of the book. The Harry Potter movies, for instance, showed maybe 1/3rd of what was in each book.

• bluebellbkk

And ADDED stuff too.

• Elaine

It depends on the book and the film adaptation. Some novels like "The Stand" cannot be made into a 2 hour film, while others like "The Hobbit" don't have enough material to make a film trilogy. If we look at the novel "Jurassic Park" it was much better than the film adaptation as we don't know who, if anyone will survive. The great thing about the written story is the author allows us to use our imaginations when we enter that world.

• Zac Z

Almost all novels are more detailed, go more in depth, when it comes to plot, characterization, etc.

• Aarj

Cinema is inherently a far far better medium than literature. Although, probably read the book first because cinema is still in its late teens. However, there are definitely cases where the movie version is as good if not better -

Fight club

Blade runner

A Clockwork Orange

No Country for Old Men

Shawshank redemption

Stalker

Solaris

Children of Men

etc.

Jaws, Jurassic Park, Godfather, Silence of the lambs are probably all better than their book counterparts although I have not read them.

• Marli

Why do you say that cinema is "in its early teens" when it has been a medium for over a hundred years?

• joedlh

An interesting observation is that the best adaptation of literature to cinema is the short story genre. Two that come to mind are "The Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and "Charlie". The latter was based on the Hugo Award winning "Flowers for Algernon". It's probably due to the fact that you can't cram an entire book adequately into a two hour movie. Take a look at the first very much failed cinema adaptation of "Dune", which was a complex novel. I identified a six-second segment in the movie that mentioned something about the Voice of the Bene Gesserit, which took scores of pages to elucidate in the novel. A later, multi-episode effort did the novel better justice.

• Zac Z

You have a stronger case with "Flowers for Algernon"; however, one might point out that Daniel Keyes expanded his short story in a novel of the same name.
      But this doesn't change the central premise of your answer, which I share! :-)

• Murzy

watching is easier than reading

• Lv 4

interesting answer; also, generally, although there are notable exceptions, maybe view the film first, and then can appreciate the progression of the story more, and, then the written version may seem more dynamic & fill in details

• Carson

Books are better for me because I can use my imagination.

Reading is a waste of time

• Michelle6 months agoReport

Reading is awesome! Maybe you just have no imagination, so you can't understand and let yourself be taken away by it!