Readers! Do you prefer to watch the actual movie better than reading the actual book of something?

For some reason, I struggle with completing a book that is made into a movie. Although, I always hear how the book does justice better than some movies. Do you feel like that sometimes or you like to read the book and watch movie

28 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

It depends, but most of the time books tend to have more details then the actual movie.

• Athena
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Movies & Books are two complete different mediums. You cannot expect the story to be told in the same way.

• 6 months ago

What does actual movie or actual book mean? It's either the movie or the book. I prefer to read the book before I see the movie.

• 6 months ago

Movies only show a portion of the book. The Harry Potter movies, for instance, showed maybe 1/3rd of what was in each book.

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

And ADDED stuff too.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Elaine
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

It depends on the book and the film adaptation. Some novels like "The Stand" cannot be made into a 2 hour film, while others like "The Hobbit" don't have enough material to make a film trilogy. If we look at the novel "Jurassic Park" it was much better than the film adaptation as we don't know who, if anyone will survive. The great thing about the written story is the author allows us to use our imaginations when we enter that world.

• ...Show all comments
    • Zac Z
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Almost all novels are more detailed, go more in depth, when it comes to plot, characterization, etc.

• Aarj
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

Cinema is inherently a far far better medium than literature. Although, probably read the book first because cinema is still in its late teens. However, there are definitely cases where the movie version is as good if not better -

Fight club

Blade runner

A Clockwork Orange

No Country for Old Men

Shawshank redemption

Stalker

Solaris

Children of Men

etc.

Jaws, Jurassic Park, Godfather, Silence of the lambs are probably all better than their book counterparts although I have not read them.

• ...Show all comments
    • Marli
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Why do you say that cinema is "in its early teens" when it has been a medium for over a hundred years?

• joedlh
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

An interesting observation is that the best adaptation of literature to cinema is the short story genre. Two that come to mind are "The Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and "Charlie". The latter was based on the Hugo Award winning "Flowers for Algernon". It's probably due to the fact that you can't cram an entire book adequately into a two hour movie. Take a look at the first very much failed cinema adaptation of "Dune", which was a complex novel. I identified a six-second segment in the movie that mentioned something about the Voice of the Bene Gesserit, which took scores of pages to elucidate in the novel. A later, multi-episode effort did the novel better justice.

• ...Show all comments
    • Zac Z
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

You have a stronger case with "Flowers for Algernon"; however, one might point out that Daniel Keyes expanded his short story in a novel of the same name.
      But this doesn't change the central premise of your answer, which I share! :-)

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

watching is easier than reading

• Lv 4
      6 months agoReport

interesting answer; also, generally, although there are notable exceptions, maybe view the film first, and then can appreciate the progression of the story more, and, then the written version may seem more dynamic & fill in details

• Carson
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Books are better for me because I can use my imagination.

• 6 months ago

Reading is a waste of time

• ...Show all comments
    • Michelle6 months agoReport

Reading is awesome! Maybe you just have no imagination, so you can't understand and let yourself be taken away by it!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.