Retina issues? Please help me!?

I had to see a retina specialist the other day, and although I have to get further tests done, I'm really nervous about the results of my first visit. I'm a 20 year old female. My retinas are very very thin, I have a central visual field defect, RPE (retinal pigment epithelial) changes, and diffuse macular atrophy. I have to get tests done that include an ERG, a fluorescein angiogram, and an autofluorescence done. My doctor mentioned cone rod degeneration. I don't have, or have a family history of Parkinson's or diabetes, and I wasn't born prematurely, How worried should I really be? What does this sound like to you? I feel like I'm being dramatic, being so afraid of the results, but this doesn't sound good either. What are the possibilities I should be considering? Thanks!

2 Answers

  • 1 year ago
    Favourite answer

    Cones & rods degeneration or Macular degeneration is NOT a diagnosis per say.. it is like saying we hear a roar inside your bedroom and we are not sure whether there is a tiger, a lion or a crocodile inside your bedroom.. or whether you left the TV on inside the bedroom..

    it could be something really bad but it could be something "more manageable" (for lack of better words)..

    it would be useless to search about the topic online because we simply do not hold all the cards to make any educated guess..

    for the most parts, Macular Degeneration is serious but again it is not a definitive diagnosis per say; the actual cause (the actual diagnosis) can be permanent, but it also can be "manageable"..

    macular degeneration occurs in the Macula, which is the part of the eye that allows you to focus on fine detail.. sometimes, the disorder worsens so slowly that you may not notice any change at all..

    however, in some people, it causes vision to deteriorate rapidly and blindness in both eyes may occur..

    so this is no doubt a serious thing..

    my advice, listen to your doctor.. he/she may refer you to an Ophthalmologist (eye doctor or eye specialist), if he/she is not one..

    he/she may refer you to a neurologist, an internist or to a neuro-surgeon (depending on the actual diagnosis) in cases of shared custody.. but for the most part, even an ophthalmologist needs to consult with other ophthalmologists and radiologists about your case - who may take some time to reach a consensus about your case (this does happen a lot)..

    your doctors may request repeat of some of the above tests in the near future, such as ERG (Electroretinogram) and Fluorescein Angiography to monitor the progression, the response to treatment, and to detect any other possible complications..

    at any rate, you will get better answers from your doctors who know about your case far more than we do.. they hold all the cards and all the answers that you need to hear..

    all the best..

  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

    Wait and see what the specialist says. Don't jump to conclusions.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.